Forum Thread: Insecure program alert frustration

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
rtrooney Insecure program alert frustration
Member 1st Jul, 2011 01:27
Ranking: -1
User Since: 13th Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
Here's the deal. I'm alerted that four programs are insecure. One is the proverbial Adobe Flash player. Two are MS .NET issues and one is MS Silverlight.

First, Adobe cannot be updated while Secunia is running. It's stupid. A is telling me that B is a problem, and provides a link to the solution. B then responds that the problem cannot be fixed because another application is using B. And that application is A!

Second, the insecure .NET problem may be real, but other sources, http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/110630, for example, say don't install these updates because they can cause more problems than they solve, and can actually create an unstable system.

Third, Secunia says that Silverlight is insecure. But there is no available update from the Windows Update site for that program. Why is that?

Bottom line. I depend on Secuina to keep me aware of insecure programs. But this latest alert seems to have crossed the line between alertism and alarmism.

Post "RE: Insecure program alert frustration" has been selected as an answer.
Customprofile RE: Insecure program alert frustration
Member 1st Jul, 2011 04:39
Score: 3
User Since: 22nd Jul 2010
Best thing to do it run Windows Update. Update everything it has do not leave out anything except languages. otehr than that make sure it all gets updated. Then go to http://www.silverlight.net/ and install Silverlight from the source. As for the Adobe software close out everything and go to adobes site and download and install the latest flash/air/etc. from their site. alot of programs need .NET so do not really listen to WindowsSecrets when it comes to this. You have to update programs and files this is the only way they get fixed and security issues get fixed.

Bottom line, close out everything and reboot. Once the PC is back up run Windows Update and update EVERYTHING, then go to Adobe's site and update Flash/Air/Etc. which ever one you need. Then go to silverlight.net to update MS silverlight. Once all this is done reboot and then re-run PSI, then let us know what is going on from there. Remeber always keep your PC updated with MS Update if there is a site saying not too, they are wrong.

--
-Customprofile-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rtrooney RE: Insecure program alert frustration
Member 6th Jul, 2011 01:10
Score: -1
User Since: 13th Jun 2008
on 1st Jul, 2011 04:39, Customprofile wrote:
alot of programs need .NET so do not really listen to WindowsSecrets when it comes to this.
The WS article in question did not say that .NET wasn't required. Only that these updates caused more problems than they solved. And they used the MSKB to support that claim. Yet, because MS issued an unneeded update, Secunia "requires" an installation in order to get a clean bill of health. That doesn't seem right.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Insecure program alert frustration
Member 6th Jul, 2011 09:13
Hi,

Are you using the PSI 2.0? It no longer depends on flash, and thus won't cause the problem you describe, and it can take care of the most commonly used programs automatically.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

prashcounselor

RE: Insecure program alert frustration
[+]
This reply has been deleted
rtrooney RE: Insecure program alert frustration
Member 7th Jul, 2011 01:34
Score: -1
User Since: 13th Jun 2008
No, I am not running 2.0. Despite multiple attempts, 2.0 does not run nicely with my XP. Which is strange, because it runs perfectly on my wife's XP system.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.