Forum Thread: I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
veterrimus I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs
Member 3rd Jul, 2011 20:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jul, 2011
System Score: N/A
I've looked around and don't see a way to keep auto update turned on and at the same time telling PSI to ignore certain programs that are out of date or at end of life.

For example, firefox 4. I won't update until all the add-ons I use are updated to work with the next version. I would like PSI to update my other software and remind me in a few months that firefox still needs to be updated.

Am I missing a configuration setting or is this not possible right now?

If not possible now, is this a good idea for a future version of PSI?

What about looking inside firefox for example and checking add-ons and plugins?

I'm currently using PSI 2.0.0.3001.

Post "RE: I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs
Handling Contributor 3rd Jul, 2011 21:31
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am sure U may have seen this but just in case:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q5

Having satisfied yourself the risk is worth taking there are two options U might like to consider.

1. Create an Ignore Rule for each programme that U wish to leave vulnerable.

2. Make automatic updating semi automatic by activating the Prompt action in Dashboard>Configuration>Settings>Prompt Before ......

PSI does not have a reminder service for either of these options.

CREATING IGNORE RULES - PSI VERSION 2

GLOBAL RULES

To verify only the C Drive is being scanned or change a global setting do this:

Open PSI>From the DASHBOARD click CONFIGURATION>then click SETTINGS>from the box that opens click DRIVES>U will see a list of DETECTED DRIVES>take the tick (check mark) out of any box that U do not wish PSI to scan.

BESPOKE (CUSTOM) RULES

Open PSI>From the DASHBOARD click CONFIGURATION>then click SETTINGS>from the box that opens click on Create Ignore Rule>a box will appear>complete the details requested.

PROGRAMME EXCLUSION RULE

Open PSI>Scan results>expand any programme by clicking the "+" to the left of the programme entry.
This will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES and below it two Yellow Folders. Click the folder with the RED dot which will create an Ignore Rule for that item.

Update 9 20:41 09/03/2011

The thread also contains a request for a possible new programme feature. I would use this as a guideline to ask Secunia:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q15

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
This user no longer exists RE: I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs
Member 4th Jul, 2011 09:06
Hi,

Apart from the ability to entirely ignore problems, like instructed by Maurice, you can also remove auto-updating froma specific program, by double-clicking the Results entry and removing the check at "Auto-update this Program".

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
veterrimus RE: I like auto update but would like to ignore selected programs
Member 5th Jul, 2011 23:14
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jul 2011
Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.