Forum Thread: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mist...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Jon223 PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 15th Jul, 2011 00:26
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Jul, 2011
System Score: N/A
recap due to accidentally hitting "accept" and closing thread...

14th Jul, 2011 22:22

Installed PSI 2.0 on XP SP3 o/s. When opening tray icon OR program file, Secunia's splash page does not connect thru the internet. Do get small report when cursor hovers over icon. I have done the following:
1. turned off pop-up blockers on Firefox and IE (tried both browsers)
2. added "secunia.com" as an exception to web page security
3. turned off my Windows firewall...just for testing
4. made IE as my default browser (always is Firefox)

Two other computers I've installed PSI 2.0 on had no problems interacting with web page.

Any suggestions?

Jon223
__________________________________________________ _____________
posted by: puget1

Refer this thread:http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/104...

--
Xp Sp3
Windows Vista SP2
Secunia 2.0.0.3003

Please make sure to include as many details as possible. The more details, the easier it will be for other users to assist you. (i.e O/S, Browser&#, Antivirus)
Please answer all questions:. the forum is constantly being monitored so remain patient
__________________________________________________ _____________

15th Jul, 2011 00:05

i have read the recommended threads and added the two domains to my IE trusted sites.

as mentioned, using XP, SP3, with AVG antivirus and Windows Secuity firewall.

made changes to "service" in administrative tools as suggested in thread.

removed PSI 2.0 and reinstalled using IE browser.

pop-up blockers are turned off, including firewall.

PSI agent page doesn't load...no action on process bar

what else to do?

--Jon223

puget1 RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 15th Jul, 2011 03:20
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
@Jon

I got it from support but it worked for me,
it is a bit complex so you need to be careful so you get it right if you have problems let me know and if it solved your problem let us know: here goes,
first you need to go to the command prompt (click start then type cmd in the search window, then type or copy and paste paste it with a right click IN the blackbox exactly as it is typed: Mark and copy the next line:
cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

then right click inside the black box and choose "Paste"

ok after you have done that type and again exactly as it is here:

Psia -r and then hit enter

then type:
Psia -i and hit enter again

ok now,

Then there should come up a box that asks for your password, type in the
password and hit enter - please be aware that you can't see that you type
anything and that this wont work if you have an empty password.

please note this is a user account password that you use.
then close that out and open secunia and see if it is scanning if not try it again and see if it works

Don't forget to run Command prompt as admistrator

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jon223 RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 15th Jul, 2011 08:29
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Jul 2011
puget1...

was excited to get your set of instructions (re-living DOS programing days) and command strings.

i opened windows command box and pasted your string to change directory...cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

system replied "the system cannot find the path specified".

from my DOS days, i don't think the quotation marks are needed in the string, so i removed quotes and pressed enter key....same reply as above

i know the Secunia folder is located in Program Files, so don't know why windows command states error message.

I'll wait for further instructions and thanks for your efforts

--Jon223
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 15th Jul, 2011 18:22
Score:
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2011 18:35

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Jon223 RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 15th Jul, 2011 22:55
puget1...

my install was clean from Secunia's website...deleted old version prior to

checked "trusted root certification authorities" tab in IE tools and have the following:
> Thawte personal basic CA
> " freemail CA
> " premium CA
> Thawte premium server CA
> " primary root CA
> " server CA
> " timestamping CA

Also have in "Intermediate Certification Authorities" tab in IE tools:
--Thawte premium server CA
--Thawte server CA
--Thawte SGC CA

unchecked "check for server certification revocation"

Today I did another clean install...no improvements, BUT noticed download of older version of PSI. Installed and PSI interface page WORKS!!!

BTW, i was never able to get further on DOS entries, ie, "Psia -r" and "Psia -i" due to command string supplied.

At this point, I will use the old interface to update security threats I have. Would it be advisable to upgrade to newer version thru old interface? (I am receiving "update available" pop-up window)

Thanks again,
--Jon223
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jul, 2011 23:15
Score:
@Jon223

Yes,Yes upgrade to newer version thru old interface this was the next move! Do NOT remove 1.5.0.2 but down load PSI 2.0 directly from Secunia site. OVERWRITE 1.5.0.2 allowing PSI installer to do the work. Be sure that you have returned to all of your old settings, for apps and antivirus first and do not change, prior to download of PSI 2.0. Hope this works and luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Jul, 2011 00:36
puget1...

downloaded update directly thru Secunia website without removing 1.5.0.2...allowing installer to do work as you mentioned. PSI 2.0 page opens, BUT no activity on page or status bar; same problem as from initial posting.

wish i had a success story for you.

thanks again,
--Jon223

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Jul, 2011 01:34
Score:
Last edited on 16th Jul, 2011 01:43
Jon

Try adding psi.exe to cmd string:as:Then there should come up a box that asks for your password, type in the
password and "psi.exe" hit enter - please be aware that you can't see that you type
anything and that this wont work if you have an empty password.

Did we check "services " in Control panel? under Administrative tools. Both Secunia PSI Agent and Secunia Update Agent should be set to Automatic

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+2
hoppy RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 17th Jul, 2011 01:28
User Since: 3rd May 2009
Last edited on 17th Jul, 2011 01:59
my 2 cents: I've never had any of the Secunia/PSI services or tray icon set to auto with PSI v2. ...and v1 didn't need any services which may be why it worked so well.

v2 worked just fine with the services set to Manual; everything turned on just by clicking on the shortcut, including the tray icon. Thats on XP Pro SP3.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 2.0 splash page won't connect to browser...thread closed mistakenly
Member 18th Jul, 2011 09:59
Hi,

Please ensure that all settings in Internet Explorer match those described in this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

If this does not solve the problem, you need to consider that some security suites may have unortodox settings. Add the psi.exe file as an exception in any firewall or Intrusion Detection System, reset internet explorer (To the default/original installation configuration) and apply the settings again.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.