Forum Thread: PSI works ONLY ONCE and never again...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
allesok PSI works ONLY ONCE and never again...
Member 5th Aug, 2011 17:37
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Apr, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2011 17:38

Secunia PSI 2 works ONLY ONCE!!
After installation, it works well. When I a few days later want to run it again, it gets stuck with a nearly empty window, not showing much more than:

Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 2.0 98 % ....
(etc.)....

Patch your PC
. Dashboard
. Scan results (7)
. Scan your PC

Configuration
Learn more
[Image "Auto Updating"]

And that is ALL!!! The rest is white and blank.
The tray icon in the bottom bar of my XPSP3 sometimes says "(not responding)".

I can click "Dashboard" etc, as much as I want and nothing happens!

If I uninstall PSI and reinstall it, it again works ONLY ONCE and then never again...

Since it at least works ONCE it gets through the firewall...

What can I do??????

--
allesok

allesok RE: PSI works ONLY ONCE and never again...
Member 5th Aug, 2011 17:54
Score: 0
User Since: 13th Apr 2010
Last edited on 5th Aug, 2011 17:55
I now discovered that I actually can scroll down from this useless white surface that looks like it is all there is and then discover that quite a bit further down there is a list from the old scan, and THERE (only) can I click a "Start Scan" button...

But before that, and also after the new scan, the display is a terrible mess of mixtured superimposed texts and some diagram, like a double exposure...

I wish I could add a screendump to this, but I don't see a way...

--
allesok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: PSI works ONLY ONCE and never again...
Member 6th Aug, 2011 09:56
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
@Allesok

Possible work around:Navigating to the Program files folder and looking for the secunia folder double clicking it and inside the folder see if you see the secunia.exe (may only state psi,or psi app @ 16000 kb)and double click to see if the program opens from that location, or try to open from the start menu (see foot note). If you get it to open, then go back to program files right click and and add a short cut to your desk top and open from there. You might also try looking at your event logs for both your p.c. and anti-virus and see what they have to say about being in conflict with your anti-virus.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Aug, 2011 11:53
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2011 11:53
Strange!
This morning it worked OK, then there was the same mess when I after a restart of the computer tried again...

I find no folder "Secunia" under Start > All Programs and no "secunia.exe" anywhere in my computer.

Under the installation folder "E:\Tools\Secunia PSI" I find psi.exe, which I use to try to start it, psy_tray.exe, psia.exe and sua.exe.

I am running XPSP3 in English and my antivirus is F-Secure Internet Security 2011 with its own firewall. I enter the Internet via a Netgear Router that also has a firewall. Both firewalls operate well together.

And I do run as Administrator.

--
allesok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2011 16:12
Score:
Go to my Computer and click on folders you then see locl disk E: a folder Secunia then click on that and see folder PSI. Double click on that You will then see PSI. Click on that. If E. drive is your main drive Mine is set up as C:I see you have been with same problem for a while , what did your event log and antivirus logs have to say about being in conflicet with PSI? If you cannot resolve the issue uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.5.0.2 from Secunia site . It is about the only solution available. You may also try contacting your anti-virus company and firewall and see what they have to say. Luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 6th Aug, 2011 16:43
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2011 16:45
I even tried to run it with F-Secure Internet Security completely disabled. Didn't help! So there is no need to contact F-Secure about this.

It is remarkable that it sometimes works, especially when newly installed, and then almost never again. And that it sometimes works contradicts, by the way, problems with antivirus and firewall!

No relevant event report found.

This really strange!!!

--
allesok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Aug, 2011 17:28
Last edited on 6th Aug, 2011 17:32
Installed PSI 1.5.0.2. It never gets past:
"Please wait while the Secunia PSI interface is loading.
This is expected to last less than 10 seconds."
and is stuck there...
From the above I think we can still exclude F-Secure problems.

I saved some logs sualog.txt, psialog.text and psilog.txt2 from the old installation, too long to copy, can I mail them to you or upload them here?
In case you can diagnose something from them...

By the way, your "instruction"
"Go to my Computer and click on folders you then see locl disk E: a folder Secunia then click on that and see folder PSI. Double click on that You will then see PSI. Click on that. If E. drive is your main drive Mine is set up as C:I see you have been with same problem for a while , what did your event log and antivirus logs have to say about being in conflicet with PSI?"
is for beginners - I certainly know how to get the PSI installation folder!!!

My XP is installed in D: and in C: I have Win2k to serve as a kind of "boot-disk on the hard-disk", I suppose that I don't need to explain, for what...

To me PSI seems buggy..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
allesok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Aug, 2011 00:29
Score:
I went on this; why I repeated locating and finding the secunia folder with PSI exe.: I find no folder "Secunia" under Start > All Programs and no "secunia.exe" anywhere in my computer.
As far as sending logs over the internet, Secunia officials request and stipulate that this "NOT" be done. The work around was a suggestion and was offered as a possible repair. It is all I can suggest at this time. You may want to contact Secunia officials directly and advise them of the posts made and what suggestions they may have. I am surprised that !.5.0.2 also exhibits the same behavior.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Aug, 2011 08:03
Last edited on 7th Aug, 2011 08:04
I am more than surprised myself that even this version doesn't work...
Also now there is no "Secunia" folder found when I open Start > All Programs.
And there is no "secunia.exe" anywhere in my computer, only a psi.exe in the installation folder.

I actually had PSI v2 installed all since it came out and it never worked (except once, after the installation). I asked about this in an earlier thread in the Forum and one wasn't able to give any useful help, then, either.

--
allesok
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI works ONLY ONCE and never again...
Member 8th Aug, 2011 08:50
Hi,

Be sure to add an exception in your security suite for outgoing traffic for psi.exe

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, and ensure that Secunia PSI Agent is set to "Started" and "Automatic". If you use the change detection feature, ensure that the Secunia Update Agent is also set to started and automatic.

Then, reset your settings in Internet Explorer to the defaults, and run through this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.