Forum Thread: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple QuickTime 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Mhayes Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 01:56
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Jun, 2011
System Score: N/A
I tried automatically updating quicktime through secunia several time but it still shows up as needing to update to 7.7. Then I looked at some of the solutions and tried updating by opening quicktime, clicking help and selecting update. Still no fix. Then I tried removing quicktime and going to the quicktime website directly and installing quicktime 7.7. Each time I trried updating it takes me to quicktime 7.69. Is anyone else having this problem?

windows 7 home premium 32 bit

bennetpd RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 02:23
Score: 1
User Since: 29th Jul 2010
Yes, I am having your exact problem. I did exactly all the same steps you did (including uninstalling & reinstalling Quicktime) but no luck convincing PSI that I had the latest update available. I think the update is being labeled 7.7 one place (using Quicktime's built-in update option) and 7.6x by the Quicktime website. Unfortunately the option to update within Quicktime itself failed for me since Apple Software Update just kept crashing instead of proceeding with the Quicktime update.

--
Alienware M17xR3/Windows 7 Professional/Intel Core i7 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/Radeon HD 6870M with 1GB GDDR5/500GB Hybrid Solid State Drive (Seagate Momentus XT)/
IE 9/Maxthon 2/Avira AntiVir Premium/Super Antispyware/Malwarebytes/WinPatrol/Secunia PSI

South Carolina/USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
William Claiborne RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 05:13
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
I have same problem. Twice I downloaded what Secunia says is latest update (7.7) and what Quicktime download site says is "latest" updated version, and each time I installed (after uninstalling existing QT once) the newly installed and updated version was still 7.69.80.9, NOT 7.7. There is no v 7.7, according to the QT download site. The latest version is 7.69.80.9.
WHY AREN'T WE HEARING FROM A SECUNIA TECHIE ON THIS FORUM?

Secunia, I think you are getting very lax and lazy.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Leendert Kip Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Contributor 8th Aug, 2011 05:58
Score: 137
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 8th Aug, 2011 06:03
@mhayes, @bennetpd, @william claibourne, This worked for me: start QuickTime, press on help, press on update. You then get a selection menu and download and install update. New verson is then: 7.7 (1680.34).

For @william: WHY AREN'T WE HEARING FROM A SECUNIA TECHIE ON THIS FORUM? Secunia, I think you are getting very lax and lazy.

Secunia is NOT lax and lazy at all but they do not work during the weekend. Furtermore, de Forum depends highly on forum members active here. And that depends of course when they are here and have time to spent on problems.

--
PC: PWA Computers
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
Kingston DDR3 ValueRam 4GB 1333
Kingston SSD SV300S 240GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Google Chrome 66.0.3359.117

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
David12846 RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 06:03
Score: 4
User Since: 29th Apr 2008
I'm having the same problem as everyone else, BUT, I think it is Apple's problem.

When I open QuickTime from my desktop and select "Help>>Update existing software...", Quicktime says "QuickTime 7.7 is now available...". When I click the box that says "Update Now", I go to Apple's QuickTime download page, But THAT PAGE says the latest version is 7.6.9 !! I accepted the download anyway.

Even the download was buggy. When I ran the download, it only gave options to repair the existing program, or to uninstall it.

I first tried the "repair" option, but that kept QuickTime at version 7.6.9 .
I ran the download a second time and selected the "uninstall" option. QuickTime uninstalled. I ran the download a third time and QuickTime INSTALLED.... but it was version 7.6.9.

So WHERE is version 7.7 that even QuickTime says is available?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Aug, 2011 06:17
@David, I had the same experience when downloading from the Quicktime website. "Even the download was buggy. When I ran the download, it only gave options to repair the existing program, or to uninstall it."
I tried to install it using Apple's Software Update program but it kept crashing on me and wouldn't proceed to download the update.
Perhaps Apple will fix the problem soon?

--
Alienware M17xR3/Windows 7 Professional/Intel Core i7 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/Radeon HD 6870M with 1GB GDDR5/500GB Hybrid Solid State Drive (Seagate Momentus XT)/
IE 9/Maxthon 2/Avira AntiVir Premium/Super Antispyware/Malwarebytes/WinPatrol/Secunia PSI

South Carolina/USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Aug, 2011 07:55
Ok, after trying multiple solutions what finally worked for me was to:

Reboot then install the Quicktime 7.7 update from following website:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4938-apple-quick...

The version is 7.70.80.34

Why does the link to the update on Apple's website not work? Another member suggested it may be that if one server to the 7.7 update is busy it may automatically redirect to another server supposedly containing the 7.7 update but actually still serves up the old 7.6.9 update. So sometimes the 7.7 update link works & sometimes it redirects to the 7.6.9 update. I don't know.

--

South Carolina/USA
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Mhayes RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 08:25
User Since: 19th Jun 2011
That link helped and now I am back to 100. thanx
Was this reply relevant?
+0
William Claiborne RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 09:02
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
The download link at http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4938-apple-quick... link solved the problem and v. 7.7 was installed. Well done!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 8th Aug, 2011 10:40
Hi,

As you may have noticed, the download link the PSI offers now works just fine.

As you may also have noticed, it's the same download link.

This was apparently caused by apple failing to update the file they offer for downloading, or somehow spontaneously offering older versions.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Aug, 2011 10:48
@Mhayes and William Claiborne--you're welcome! Glad I could help.

--

South Carolina/USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0

dusty111

RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
anothersnafu2 RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 9th Aug, 2011 01:41
User Since: 11th May 2010
Thank you for that info. "worked great"
Was this reply relevant?
+0

loribree12

RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
[+]
This reply has been deleted
magpar RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 9th Aug, 2011 17:46
User Since: 9th Aug 2011
I tried again this morning (Aug. 9) to download quicktime 7.7 from the download link (in both CSI and OSI) and still didn't get the right version. I got it from Techspot's download site as recommended by bennetpd (thanks for that info). Just wanted to let Secunia know.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mafkees RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 9th Aug, 2011 19:20
User Since: 23rd Dec 2007

http://www.filehippo.com/download_quicktime_player...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
hazenmeek RE: Updating to quicktime 7.7 for secunia to remove threat
Member 13th Aug, 2011 06:30
User Since: 30th Dec 2010
same problem but using xp pro operating system please advise,respectfully,Hazen Meek
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.