Forum Thread: PSI and Multi-user systems

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
tovodeverett PSI and Multi-user systems
Member 1st Jan, 2009 23:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Ouch. Forgot to select forum first, so now I'm typing this all back in.

insert boilerplate about loving the product and having no right to request difficult changes

Like a number of the users in this forum, I don't run as Administrator. I only run as Administrator to install or update software, and I never install or update software with my normal account. I use fast-user switching and have separate accounts set up for different family members, guests, and for different purposes (for instance, watching movies).

Desired configuration:
* Core functionality runs from a Service
* Taskbar component runs in user space with user privs and uses some form of IPC to communicate with Service
* Administrator can specify that all normal users except a possibly empty list or no normal users except a possibly empty list can view the information.
* Ditto for permission to make configuration changes to PSI.
* All permissions validation is carried out by the Service as a result of credentials presented through IPC by the Taskbar component
* Taskbar component starts for all users but terminates silently if Service indicates user has no privs to view
* Service is multi-threaded with respect to UI connections so as to handle fast-user switching

That's it in a nutshell. I know this is a major rearchitecting and a pain, but I figured that if you decided to do it, you might want one user's input . . .

millwood RE: PSI and Multi-user systems
Member 15th Jan, 2009 02:16
Score: 18
User Since: 14th May 2008
System Score: N/A
OK - but a simpler request. Right now, autostart uses the start menu, and in a multi-user system you wind up with multiple copies of psi running, which is not what you want. So at least fix psi to only run one copy.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.