Forum Thread: re-conectivity

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
joesoap1264 re-conectivity
Member 11th Sep, 2011 18:29
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi, I recently changed antiv,s from Avast to MSE to try to resolve a printer conectivity spooler problem.I used Revo to unistal Avast, and it removed it but left icons still on, even though It recommened I click on 100+ other items in bold lettering linked to Avast.
I clicked check all and fix.but it left the icons on.I also lost conectivity to my e-mail AOL and registration to Avast, both of these I have rectified, AOL with a 2 hour phone call.
I am now left unable to launch PSI, even after uninstalling and installing it again today.I checked it was not psi,s fault ,so that leaves my end.I used the main web page to get here.
Could anyone help me gain my conection please.I last used it last week with Maurice who kindly assisted me with free office.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault
windows vista premium sp2

Chrome
Aol

Post "RE: re-conectivity" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: re-conectivity
Member 12th Sep, 2011 09:27
Hi,

Can you briefly summarize which steps you took with AOL to correct their connectivity issue?

In this case, I would recommend you reset all settings in Internet Explorer, as it is quite probable that is where the problem exists.

If you reset Internet Explorer, is the problem resolved?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joesoap1264 RE: re-conectivity
Member 12th Sep, 2011 10:13
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2011 10:30
Hi, Thankyou for your reply. The problem arose originally when I had a booting up problem and restored pc back to factory settings 10 days ago.put secunia et.al av,s etc,back on and all ok- except my printer, it wouldn,t re-instal. With help from techies off MSE and Lexmark I reinstalled it, but still have a spooler problem, certain items stick and won,t print, until I reboot, and then it coughes the document out ok.
I then had problems with psi, and Maurice cured them and a lot more help with Office.Great help,,a Gem.
I tried turning off A/v to see if it was stopping printer, printing ,and it let it print, so, foolishly, I uninstalled Avast using REVO uninstaller, (never again), that,s when trouble started.
It told be there were 100+ items that were related to Avast on PC that needed attention, and were in bold lettering, tick box at each to fix, or all, which I clickedI It said it was uninstalled successfully and I put MSE AV on thinking that may not clash with printer, (wrong), it still had the problem+ the Avast icons were still there,(so much for Revo).
I then took MSE off and re-installed Avast, but couldn,t get to sign the registration, it wouldn,t connect to do it, although I was online.
I also coudn,t get my AOL e-Mail from IE ,AOLl was made my homepage, It wouldn,t connect, I phoned AOL, and after exhaustive tests, attempts with the technical dept, They gave up and gave me AOL,s latest version, which I saved to desktop, and got my mail via that.
That was how I had it prior to restore, the techie at AOL, advised me to make AOL my homepage on IE and access my e-mail via that,after restore, which I did successfully, until I changed A/v,s
I also couldn,t launch PSI, and still cannot. Yesterday I found I had installed Facemoods and Babylon, malisciuos toolbars which I have just immunized .AOL, is still my IE homepage, not that bothered what it is really,So as you say , I couldn,t get AOL,E-mail via IE, I cannot get PSI via IE, and I couldn,t register Avast via IE.Only PSI remains unresolved. If it is IE, how do I resolve it? I,ve spent the last 10 days resolving issues and 400+ windows updates, I,m not using it for hat I really need it for.
Sorry it,s a SAGA, but that,s the itemised procedure leading me up to present.

If you or any one could help me with PSI, I would be truly grateful.
Here endeth the first chapter.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 10:54
Hi,

Did you try resetting all settings in internet explorer?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 11:15
Hi, No, I don,t know how to. I,ve just tried looging into another bank, sign in, IE again, and problems with that also, tried using AOL browser, which uses IE, no joy, got in using Chrome, so IEis certainly giving me aggro.
Any chance you could advise me how to set IE??please

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 11:28
Hi,

Microsoft provides this advice: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 11:43
Hi, Thanks, I am having all sorts of connectivity problems at present, now even with chrome.PC,s Love/Hate relationship. I,ll visit the site.Cheers

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 12:41
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2011 12:46
Hi, Having problems. Firstly I clicked the 1 click fix, let them do it. It encountereda problem stopping it doing so.
Asked it for advice, it directed me to their site, with various options,starting with compatability, until it reached the reset IE manually. My concern now is, with AOL using IE for me to access my E-mail, if I reset , I" may "lose AOL connectivity to E-mail. Catch 22 situation. Appreciate any advice before I commit to doing anything, cannot even digest their compatability test, and that,s number 1, on the list.there are several others to follow, including time check,etc, before the reset is an option.No onus on any advice given, my choice whether I take any action.Probably using Firefox as my default would be better, I had it as my default prior to restore, but didn,t re-instal it. Does changing to IE9, change IE8,s settings? if I opt for that, can always take it off.Does PSI only operate via IE??? Questions, quetions? IF, small word, lots of results;;

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 13:09
Hi.

If you want to be sure that resetting IE won't break your connectivity with AOL, you would have to contact them. I see no logical reason it would, but I am not in a position to promise you anything.

You can probably skip the time checks and whatnot, we are only talking about settings in IE.

You can't keep 2 versions of IE on your system, so if you install IE9 IE8 will be gone. As for whether or not the settings carry through a version update, I have no idea.

The PSI operates it's user interface via internet Explorer.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 13:21
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2011 13:28
Hi, Thanks again, I guessed PSI used IE for it,s interface, which I cannot get. If I upgrade to IE9 and it doesn,t solve the problems, nothing lost. I will probably try resetting IE*8, if it upsets AOL, I,ll just have to get back on the phone AGAIN to them, if they gave me their browser download as I requested, aftfer restore, instead of trying to flog me a new router and re-sign a new contact, none of this would have occurred I doubt. I will keep you posted, Cheers PS Wouldn,t restoring my pc back to factory settings, which is what I have done, automatically reset IE settings to default.?

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:05
on 12th Sep, 2011 13:21, joesoap1264 wrote:
Hi, Thanks again, I guessed PSI used IE for it,s interface, which I cannot get. If I upgrade to IE9 and it doesn,t solve the problems, nothing lost. I will probably try resetting IE*8, if it upsets AOL, I,ll just have to get back on the phone AGAIN to them, if they gave me their browser download as I requested, aftfer restore, instead of trying to flog me a new router and re-sign a new contact, none of this would have occurred I doubt. I will keep you posted, Cheers PS Wouldn,t restoring my pc back to factory settings, which is what I have done, automatically reset IE settings to default.?
Hi, UPDATE.
Have reset IE, I know it,s done because it has taken AOL as my homepage off and restored IE which is ok. However, it has NOT resolved my problem, still cannot launch PSI, it did not affect my AOL settings ans E-mail;

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:11
Hi,

After having reset IE, try walking through this FAQ item again: http://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/faq/#s3

Then, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, and ensure that the "Secunia Update Agent" is set to "Started" and "Automatic".

Has this resolved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:12
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2011 14:36
on 12th Sep, 2011 14:05, joesoap1264 wrote:
Hi, UPDATE.
Have reset IE, I know it,s done because it has taken AOL as my homepage off and restored IE which is ok. However, it has NOT resolved my problem, still cannot launch PSI, it did not affect my AOL settings ans E-mail;
altered personal settings. ok now, but still cannot launch

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:36
Hey.

AOL may have embedded some software, especially if you have the toolbars, that change this back if you try to regain your start page.

If you followed the steps on the Microsoft page, you should have reset your browser.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:45
Hi, Sorry about that, missed your reply. It,s all started and on auto, still same problem

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 14:47
Hi,

Which exact step of launching the PSI fails?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 16:10
Hi Sorry about wait, I downloaded Firefox, twice, it didn,t succeed first time, second was ok but didn,t register as being on PC in control Panel so I have had to restore back to prior resetting IE, so I have done it again,.
There,s some gremlin that,s driving me scatty in PC, yet all A/v.Antimalware/spyware says all clear.
The stage I am at is , secunia is started in update and on auto. I had to do this with my printer because somehow the spooler was turned off, it took ages to get it started again,
In notification tray, the secunia is red, when I hover over it, it would normally give status, it does not, it just says secunia psi tray.
I,ve no idea what percentage it is as when I open the icon, the large dialogue box comes up, but the connection bars which run red across to launch , do nothing.No attempt to try to open.
No matter how long I wait, the interface does not launch.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 18:00
on 12th Sep, 2011 16:10, joesoap1264 wrote:
Hi Sorry about wait, I downloaded Firefox, twice, it didn,t succeed first time, second was ok but didn,t register as being on PC in control Panel so I have had to restore back to prior resetting IE, so I have done it again,.
There,s some gremlin that,s driving me scatty in PC, yet all A/v.Antimalware/spyware says all clear.
The stage I am at is , secunia is started in update and on auto. I had to do this with my printer because somehow the spooler was turned off, it took ages to get it started again,
In notification tray, the secunia is red, when I hover over it, it would normally give status, it does not, it just says secunia psi tray.
I,ve no idea what percentage it is as when I open the icon, the large dialogue box comes up, but the connection bars which run red across to launch , do nothing.No attempt to try to open.
No matter how long I wait, the interface does not launch.

Hi, UPDATE, Just uninstalled it again and re-installed it.
Still the same, even when asked if I want to launch directly after instal.+ in control panel it says installed 11/9/2011 , even though it,s 12/9/2011
I exported all my favourites from IE to chrome and they all work fine, but not on IE8
Pity secunia doesn,t use chrome for launch too;

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Sep, 2011 18:41
Last edited on 12th Sep, 2011 18:49
on 12th Sep, 2011 18:00, joesoap1264 wrote:
Hi, UPDATE, Just uninstalled it again and re-installed it.
Still the same, even when asked if I want to launch directly after instal.+ in control panel it says installed 11/9/2011 , even though it,s 12/9/2011
I exported all my favourites from IE to chrome and they all work fine, but not on IE8
Pity secunia doesn,t use chrome for launch too;
UPDATE, 100%;;;;
Would you believe after all this time and aggro, I decided to do or die and installed IE9, despite the fact I have tried it when it was first launched and wasn,t keen.
Well it,s sorted my connectivity problems, so I am back on PSI again.Except, the tray Icon is still RED not Green, cannot have it all I suppose:::::
Thanks for everyones assistance.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2011 12:44
on 12th Sep, 2011 18:41, joesoap1264 wrote:
UPDATE, 100%;;;;
Would you believe after all this time and aggro, I decided to do or die and installed IE9, despite the fact I have tried it when it was first launched and wasn,t keen.
Well it,s sorted my connectivity problems, so I am back on PSI again.Except, the tray Icon is still RED not Green, cannot have it all I suppose:::::
Thanks for everyones assistance.
Hi, Just an update Enquiry.
Athough I am getting 100% scores now, after upgrading to IE9.
I am still getting RED icon on Tray.
Is there any cure for this???

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2011 13:37
Hi,

Try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools - Services and ensure that both the "Secunia PSI Agent" and "Secunia Update Agent" are set to "Started" and "Automatic".

Then, try to reboot your system and run a full scan. Has this resolved the issue?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2011 14:12
Hi, I,ve done that and it,s started and on auto;
Rebooted and rescanned,still green, 100%

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2011 14:35
Hi,

So is the icon now green as expected?

If so, you can click "Accept" on this post, thereby locking the thread. :)

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Sep, 2011 14:45
Hi, No It,s still RED.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Sep, 2011 18:36
on 14th Sep, 2011 14:45, joesoap1264 wrote:
Hi, No It,s still RED.
Hi, I guess I can live with it so I will close the thread. Thanks all.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.