Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Update version confusion

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Midnight_Voice Adobe Flash Update version confusion
Member 25th Sep, 2011 23:31
Ranking: 50
User Since: 1st Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 25th Sep, 2011 23:32

I had an old Adobe Flash Player Active X version, 10.v, which PSI correctly identified as out of date, and wanted me to move to 10.x.

However, I downloaded and installed the current 11 beta instead, after which PSI still insisted I had an out of date 10.v, even though Adobe told me that (i) the version I wanted to install, when I clicked on Manual Update on the Scan results, wasn't the latest and (ii) that even when I took the revised option that Adobe offered me, I still had a later one.

Fair enough, up to a point. PSI doesn't see betas. And the 10.v was still present in the folder; and Skype was still using it. But when I stopped Skype, and deleted 10.v, a Rescan Program still insisted it was there, and out of date. I had to do a full Scan before I got back to a 100% PSI score.

This seems like a bug to me.

I did a fuil scan, and got back to 100%, but Flash Active X now doesn't show up at all (as it's a Beta, I presume).

It looks like the partial rescan can't cope with a program (apparently) going away completely (according to how PSI sees it).

It should do, IMHO

This was on Windows 7, BTW, in an SxS WoW folder, if that is significant.

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Update version confusion
Handling Contributor 26th Sep, 2011 00:12
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 26th Sep, 2011 00:34
U are correct in that the PSI does not register BETA programmes as outlined here:

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q7

Your observation about the programme rescan slowness has also been raised. Secunia would argue it is not a bug but there is a time lapse between update & PSI registration.

Many Forum members prefer a full PSI scan rather than the delay experienced with the programme rescan.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Midnight_Voice RE: Adobe Flash Update version confusion
Member 26th Sep, 2011 00:36
Score: 50
User Since: 1st Oct 2010
[quote=p40832U observation about the program rescan slowness has also been raised. Secunia would argue it is not a bug but there is a time lapse between update & PSI registration.

Many Forum members prefer a full PSI scan rather than the delay experienced with the program rescan.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments, esp. about the beta, which confirms what I thought.

Re the rescan, I know a full rescan will generally get the right answe, so it's what I do if I think I have the time.

And I also that leaving PSI alone for 30 mins or so after a change will generally be enough time for it to notice the change and report it.

But I don't understand, then, what the individual program rescan is supposed to do, if it has to wait for PSI to notice the change over the course of time?

Surely, it should trigger PSI to do a mini-Rescan, on just that program/folder, and get its result immediately?

Otherwise, we might as well not have the option at all?

--
A computer program can do pretty much anything the user doesn't know is impossible for it to do.

XP Home 32-bit - Compaq Presario V2000 Celeron 1.4GHz
Vista Ultimate 32-bit - Toshiba Equium A100 Centrino Duo 1.7GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Dell Studio XPS 1645 Core i7-720 Quad 1.6-2.4GHz
(Also running XP Pro in Windows XP Mode 32-bit)
Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit - Lenovo IdeaPad Z500 Core i5 2.6Ghz
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Update version confusion
Handling Contributor 26th Sep, 2011 00:44
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I agree. Best to leave this thread open for Secunia Support to comment on whether they can speed up the single rescan option.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.