Forum Thread: re-open forum

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joesoap1264 re-open forum
Member 29th Oct, 2011 15:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2011 15:14

Hi, Has forum been down. I have just had to roll pc back to a restore point 10 days ago.because of problem with pc. Secunia is scanning ok, it told me Chrome was insecure. Button would not fix it, so I removed it, and reinstalled it. Now 100%.
BUT, I cannot access forum from Chrome, IE, or Aol. my ISP".trouble with url I",ve taken secuni off, re-installed it and still cannot access forum from interface? Any help would be most appreciated. I,ve googled to get this, which in itself proves it,s working.

" an error occurred while trying to open Url" that,s the message I keep getting.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault
windows vista premium sp2

Chrome
Aol

Maurice Joyce RE: re-open forum
Handling Contributor 29th Oct, 2011 15:38
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

The Forum is/has been stable & running perfectly.

What happens when U click this link?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/116...

I have just tested the Forum link from within PSI & that is OK as well.

Have U checked your browser settings?

The FAQ hints should help:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#q9

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
joesoap1264 RE: re-open forum
Member 29th Oct, 2011 16:24
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
Hi Maurice, we talk again. If I click the first link it directs me to Java, which believe it or not, since my restore, I cannot access this either via control panel. I haven,t touched the browser settings as it worked ok this morning before I restored pc to 10 days ago.Are you suggesting it could be Java related, which I may have to remove/add again.?
As I cannot access the forum using Chrome, IE, and AOL browsers, how do I alter the settings, never had to before. I am accessing other forums as I speak[ Thanks for your reply, the reason for accessing the forum was for the link you gave me for Latest PSI version which I downloaded, but have removed due to restore.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Oct, 2011 16:32
By that U mean it opened the Forum at my locked thread on updating JAVA?

Did U look at the FAQ regarding reset your default browser? What is your default browser?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Oct, 2011 16:35
Hi Yes it opened your update oracle java article.I didn,t realise the other link was browser related, I apologise

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Oct, 2011 16:36
My default browser is IE9

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Oct, 2011 16:54
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2011 16:59
Sorry about the edits - for now, just check your browser is correct without making any alterations.

So, U can access the Forum. I assume that when U try to open the Forum from the link from here it does not work?

Open PSI>Learn More>Support/Forum>Visit Community Forum

Just check that IE is set up correctly to be your default browser as follows:

CHANGING A DEFAULT BROWSER VIA THE REGISTRY

IT IS IMPORTANT U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER. TINKERING IN THE REGISTRY BEYOND THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BELOW AND GETTING IT WRONG CAN,IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, CAUSE A SEVERE LOSS OF HUMOUR AFTER A RESTART AND WINDOWS REFUSES TO BOOT!

1. Opening REGEDIT

Windows 7 Users - Click Start>type regedit in the search box>REGEDIT.EXE will appear at the top of the list>click it>from the prompt allow the programme to run>U are now in the Registry or U can type REGEDIT in the run menu.

2. Finding the correct key to modify

a. Look in the LEFT PANE & at the top U will see HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. To the left of that key is an arrow. Click it to reveal a long list of Gobbledygook.
b. Scroll down that list to the entry http Click the arrow to the left and look for SHELL click the arrow to the left of Shell and look for OPEN click the arrow to the left of Open and it will reveal COMMAND

3. Modifying the key.

a. Double click on the word COMMAND. The word COMMAND should be highlighted blue.
b. Now look in the RIGHT HAND PANE and U will see an entry starting with an ICON next to the word (default). DOUBLE click on the word (default).
c. A box will appear. U will see an entry called VALUE DATA which will have data in it highlighted in blue. Click the keyboard DELETE key.Make sure ALL the entry is removed.
d. Now highlight & copy (CTRL+C) & then paste(CTRL+V) the detail in bold immediately below into the DEFAULT box. IT MUST BE EXACTLY AS WRITTEN.

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Once inserted click OK> the browser U have chosen should now show under DATA in the RIGHT PANE.

Now EXIT the registry by click the RED BOX with a X at the top RIGHT corner.

Checking IE9.

Open IE>from the top line menu select TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>select the PROGRAMS tab>ensure in the DEFAULT WEB BROWSER section that the MAKE DEFAULT button is greyed out & there is a tick (check mark) in the box provided.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Oct, 2011 18:35
Hi Maurice, I have checked I am ie9 default. I,ve just taken java off, which I only installed hours ago, and reinstalled latest version from filehippo. Still cannot get your url from my dashboard.
Not confident to mess with the registry, so it may be best to use browser to access like this?
What do you think.

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Oct, 2011 21:02
Last edited on 29th Oct, 2011 21:18
JAVA has nothing to do with this issue - I just gave U that link to see if U could access the Forum using a url.

Clearly your problem is with getting access via PSI. I have just tested that link using my test PC which is Windows 7 32 Bit with IE9 as default. It works perfectly with PSI version 2.0.0.4003.

It looks like the registry requires resetting after your restore but I fully understand your reluctance to dabble.

U may wish to try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ie_performance_a...

or,in the light of what U have stated just access the Forum by creating a Browser Favourite to this link:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/

After log in it should work perfectly.

Let me know if I can help further.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 30th Oct, 2011 10:45
Last edited on 30th Oct, 2011 11:00
Hi Maurice, thanks for reply. The fix didn,t work, although it found something, anf fixed it, whatever it was:
It,s the link via psi dashboard,I do seem to be having my fair share of pc problems,fix one, and create another, still got the red icon too. Perhaps a sledgehammer may be called for: Cheers joe

--
Acer laptop 5920
2gb
IEdefault

Chrome
Aol
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.