Forum Thread: PSI has stopped working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
byzantiumcowboy PSI has stopped working
Member 9th Nov, 2011 15:11
Ranking: 0
User Since: 9th Nov, 2011
System Score: N/A
Hi, i have used PSI for some time now, but it has stopped working. I was using Version 2.00.3001. I uninstalled it and downloaded 2.00.4003. After installing the new version I get the same problem. "Unable to retrieve PSI User ID. Please verify that you are able to connect to https://psi.secunia.com/ and then restart the PSI. I can connect to the secure site with IE9 and Firefox 7.01. I uninstalled 2.00.403 and reinstalled 2.00.3001, but get the same problem.
I am running Windows 7 32 bit with SP1, Online Armour firewall and Avira V.12 Antivirus.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bert Lawrie

mtodorov RE: PSI has stopped working
Member 9th Nov, 2011 16:35
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
1. Have you checked your firewall?

FAQ says we need to verify connectivity to port www.secunia.com:443, that is HTTPS.

Try "telnet www.secunia.com 443" and see whether firewall allows connection.

2. Otherwise, you might need to remove registry key that is stale, but the cost of this is losing scanning history.

They registry key is Computer\HKCU\Software\Secunia\PSI\UserID, but you are editing registry at your own responsibility, and certainly you should back up your registry before editing anything. It is considered advanced administration.

Stay well
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+3
byzantiumcowboy RE: PSI has stopped working
Member 9th Nov, 2011 17:53
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Nov 2011
Last edited on 9th Nov, 2011 17:55
Thank you for your prompt reply. My firewall shows PSI.exe TCP OUT Ports 80 and 443
and PSIA.exe TCP OUT Ports 80 and 443. I can telnet to www.secunia.com 443.
There is no registry subfolder under Secunia on my system.
Computer\HKCU\Software\Secunia is all I have.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Bert
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI has stopped working
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 19:32
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Bert,
The path given is slightly incorrect hence the difficulty finding it. If U want to remove your profile do this:

DELETING THE PSI USER ID

Before starting, shut down the PSI tray icon.

To remove the registration from your PSI without reinstalling.Go to start > run and enter Regedit or click the start orb & enter regedit.

Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Secunia\> click on PSI> in the right pane U will see a key named UserID>right click & delete the key. (And ONLY this key).

Upon restarting, you should see your registration has been removed.

U also have the option of this action via the FAQ:

How do I cancel my registration?
To cancel your registration and delete your Secunia profile, you can simply write an email to support@secunia.com and state that you wish to have your profile deleted. See below for information about our profile deletion policy.

Once deleted U should be able to recreate your profile.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 9th Nov, 2011 22:05
Hi, Maurice, thanks for the reply. In regedit, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SECUNIA
is all I have. There is no \PSI subfolder. All there is in the right hand pane for Secunia
is ab (Default) REG_SZ (Value not set).
I have another PC connected to my router, it runs WinXP SP3 and PSI works OK on it.
Thanks again,
Bert
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 22:13
Bert,
So far correct - are U sure there is not an arrow (like thingy) to the left of Secunia which creates a dropdown box - it should then show two folders:

PSI - which has 4 keys in the right pane

PSIA - which has 5 keys

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Nov, 2011 23:08
Hi, Maurice. There is no drop down arrow for Secunia. The next item down ( eg Securom) has a drop down arrow, but Secunia does not, so I can see there is no sub-folder for Secunia.
Thanks again,
Bert
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 23:19
Thank you.

1. Open PSI>Configuration>Secunia Community Profile>is that populated with the correct data?

2. Click the My Profile tab at the top of this thread. Is that populated how U would like it?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 10th Nov, 2011 12:01
Hi, Maurice. Thanks again for your help. I can now get PSI to work. When I booted my computer this morning, I tried PSI again. This time I got a UAC prompt asking if I wanted PSI to run.
I clicked yes, and PSI worked properly. I had to restore my profile, but so far everything works.
I am wondering if it was the UAC causing the problem. I had it set to run PSI as administrator,
but no joy till today. I also have the PSI sub-folder in the registry.
I'll keep an eye on it for now, but hopefully it's been solved, somehow.
Thanks for all the help.
Bert
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Nov, 2011 12:13
CyberWorld at its best!!

Pleased to see your problem looks like it has been resolved. I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from update emails from Forum "tag on" posts & spammers.

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.