Forum Thread: Cannot log in to foums using user name and password

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe schmoe Cannot log in to foums using user name and password
Member 11th Nov, 2011 23:37
Ranking: 41
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
I realize this has probably been covered before, but it seems that ever since Secunia upgraded their website, I cannot log in manually.

I must first open the PSI program>user forum>default browser>then community forums> appears with an automatic login.

Really not a bother as such, but I would sometimes prefer to log in as a user, rather than as admin.

joe schmoe

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit

Maurice Joyce RE: Cannot log in to foums using user name and password
Handling Contributor 12th Nov, 2011 08:27
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Joe,
Are U saying U cannot find this page?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/all_threads/?

I do not have PSI permanently installed therefore auto log on to the Forum using that link.

Without automation all that is required is to click Community Login>enter your User Name + Password.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
joe schmoe RE: Cannot log in to foums using user name and password
Member 16th Nov, 2011 07:43
Score: 41
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
on 12th Nov, 2011 08:27, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Joe,
Are U saying U cannot find this page?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/all_threads/?

I do not have PSI permanently installed therefore auto log on to the Forum using that link.

Without automation all that is required is to click Community Login>enter your User Name + Password.

Maurice,

No, it is actually worse than that. I can find that page with no problems.

Clicking Community Login (or Logon, don't know which as I am currently logged in via opening PSI GUI>Community Forums) brings up the user name and password. I am not able to log in manually even though the account I use and password has remained the same since account was first created.

Change to ability to log on seems to have occurred when Secunia revamped the site a few months back, at least from what I recall.

As I said, it is a minor niggle, as I can still enter via running PSI GUI. I do not mind having PSI automatically start and have it running continuously as impact on system is negligible. Still, it would be nice to enter as a limited user, as that is considered by some to be somewhat safer for security reasons as there are fewer operations an user can make to the system (fewer rights) than the admin can, and when running as admin while on the 'net, more actions can be done to the system by default than when as limited user. I believe there may be increased protection from malicious actions or files when run as limited user vs. admin.

Don't get me wrong, this is not about being afraid, it is about a preference I have, and i prefer to run my system as user as much as possible.

For example, PSI will not run or run properly under user privileges, only under administrative rights. so, to run it interactively at all, one must be in an admin account to do so.

So, the query above in the OP still remains true. Using the user name and password presents an error. It says 'joe schmoe' is not a valid user name, or something like that.

joe schmoe

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.