Forum Thread: The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
antipodes The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command was not executed
Member 13th Nov, 2011 03:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
I continue to get the above message whenever the secunia Auto Update function is unable to install an Adobe update. I also get a message saying "an add on associated with this site failed to run.". I would appreciate assistance in adressing these issues

--
antipodes

Maurice Joyce RE: The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command was not executed
Handling Contributor 13th Nov, 2011 10:39
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Have U looked here for a solution that matches your issue?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=an+add+on+associated+...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
antipodes RE: The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command was not executed
Member 13th Nov, 2011 12:31
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Oct 2008
Thanks Maurice

Flash player is installed and Ihave checked the manage my add ons but I still get the problem of the unsafe browser path when I try to access the community forum or the PSI manual.

I don't access those functions but I do rely on the Auto Update function and would like to have if possible that matter resolved..

--
antipodes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command was not executed
Handling Contributor 13th Nov, 2011 12:36
Last edited on 13th Nov, 2011 12:38
Have U got:
https://*.secunia.com

installed in your browser trusted zones?

Sorry about the edits - trying to get the highlighter working - given up!

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
antipodes RE: The web browser path is potentially unsafe. The requested command was not executed
Member 13th Nov, 2011 23:07
Sorry for the late response but Secunia is a trusted site.
About 20 April 2011 I had a similar problem and was advised to change the registry key entry as follows:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
http
SHELL
OPEN
COMMAND
I then double clicked the word default and deleted the entry in the VALUE DATA box and replaced it with "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE"-nohome . This entry had changed with "-nohome" being removed; so I have restored "-nohome" to the entry..
Should I have done this?

Antipodes

--
antipodes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Nov, 2011 23:19
Yes - the correct entries in there should be either:

32Bit system:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

64Bit system

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2011 01:10
Hi Maurice

Since your confirmation of the registry entry I ran Registry Healer twice, rebooted and checked the access to Secunia's Community Forum; it appears the problem is fixed.

It was you who provided the original advice on 20 April 2011.

Are there steps I can take to avoid this situation recurring?

Antipodes

--
antipodes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Nov, 2011 01:15
Can U just check this:

Open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Programs Tab> confirm U have a tick (check mark) in the box next to Tell me if IE is not my default browser

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2011 02:08
Yes the box is ticked.

Antipodes

--
antipodes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Nov, 2011 09:37
Thank you. If that is set it is highly unlikely any other browser has tried a hi-jack.

Without "hands on" it is difficult to say what occasionally causes the alteration of that registry entry.

My gut feeling is it is your Registry Cleaner. Most of the money I earn from PC work is "putting Humpy Dumpty back together" after these alleged cleaners have done their bidding.

If U feel there is a need for such a programme use with extreme caution AND NEVER let the vendor do an auto search & clean.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Nov, 2011 11:33
Thanks Maurice

I have always been suspicious of these registry cleaners and I installed Registry Healer on the recommendation of a friend several years ago and recently updated it to a 64 bit version. I will try to avoid using it as I have also noted that Microsoft don't recommend their use as well.

Having said that; Secunia always seems to have difficulty updating flash player on my system.
Windows 7
IE9
Intel I7
Office 2010.

Anyway thanks for your assistance.

Antipodes

--
antipodes
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Nov, 2011 17:08
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2011 17:09
Flash belongs to Adobe - anything free Adobe is a total security nightmare with a touch of spaghetti programming!!

Much quicker & better to install it manually. I frequently advise this on the Forum:

UPDATING THE STANDALONE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

If not using the PSI automatic update feature I would recommend this method to successfully update Flash which by-passes the Adobe Download Manager.

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.

IE & Other Browsers using the Trident Rendering Engine.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

& then here, if U have any Gecko based browsers that does not have Flash embedded.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install Flash check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2

3. The new install will then remove all old files during the update process.

4. Complete a PSI rescan & all should be in order.
5. Delete the Flash installer(s) file(s) from the desktop.

If U want to double check Flash is working & the version installed click here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ If using IE9 ActiveX Filtering must be disabled via IE>Tools before testing

Update 8 14:03 12/11/2011

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.