Forum Thread: PSI minor bug ...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mtodorov PSI minor bug ...
Member 18th Nov, 2011 08:20
Ranking: 19
User Since: 20th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
I've noticed in PSI 1.5.0.0 that (in Secure Browsing tab) PSI lists .OCX ActiveX controls under Firefox and Opera who never use them.

Also, plugin NPSWF32.dll is listed under IE8 window.

Opera has two windows, one for Opera.exe and the other for Opera.dll, but both are identical in content.

Both windows are correctly declared as "patched".

Please see if I am doing something very wrong.

Stay well
iJC, mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><

mtodorov RE: PSI minor bug ...
Member 18th Nov, 2011 08:29
Score: 19
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2011 08:35
I can confirm that this behavior persisted in PSI 1.5.0.2, current version of Secunia PSI.

It doesn't disable functionality, but it may be confusing for novice users.

AFAIK, Firefox and Opera never run .OCX ActiveX control, and IE8 never runs NPSWF32.dll plugin.

Thanks
iJC
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2011 08:39
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2011 08:40
I can confirm that PSI 2.0.0.4003 doesn't have this shortcoming (... eeh ... minor bug?) of two Operas.

But it doesn't display Adobe Flash entry at all, neither in IE8 section, neither in FF/Opera section. Add/Remove programs confirms both plugins are installed and version 11.1.102.55.

Scan results are listing both plugin and ActiveX Flash11e.ocx control.

Hope this helps ...

Stay well
iJC
mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI minor bug ...
Handling Contributor 18th Nov, 2011 09:57
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

Your points are well known by Secunia & Forum members.

1. LIFESPAN OF PSI VERSIONS

This statement was made by a Secunia Official on 10th January 2011.

"For now, there are no immediate plans to 'break' the old versions, though we do not offer support for any other versions than 2.0.

However, we do strongly recommend that everybody upgrade to the newest versions, and can unfortunately not make any promises of continued support for older or beta versions.

Eventually, you can probably expect that they will be discontinued".

On that basis they will not fix any cosmetic/bug fix shortcomings in this version.

2. SECURE BROWSING

The bug in version 2.0.0.4003 was reported weeks ago & has no real impact on an advanced user.

It is hoped novice users will not be confused because they "sign up" to activate this element in the PSI settings will clearly states:

Enable "Secure Browsing" Page

Please note. The "Secure Browsing" page is an feature only recommended for advanced users. Check this box to enable the "Secure Browsing" page in the menu.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Nov, 2011 10:31
Good morning, Maurice,

on 18th Nov, 2011 09:57, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Your points are well known by Secunia & Forum members.

1. LIFESPAN OF PSI VERSIONS

This statement was made by a Secunia Official on 10th January 2011.

"For now, there are no immediate plans to 'break' the old versions, though we do not offer support for any other versions than 2.0.

However, we do strongly recommend that everybody upgrade to the newest versions, and can unfortunately not make any promises of continued support for older or beta versions.

Eventually, you can probably expect that they will be discontinued".

On that basis they will not fix any cosmetic/bug fix shortcomings in this version.

2. SECURE BROWSING

The bug in version 2.0.0.4003 was reported weeks ago & has no real impact on an advanced user.

It is hoped novice users will not be confused because they "sign up" to activate this element in the PSI settings will clearly states:

Enable "Secure Browsing" Page

Please note. The "Secure Browsing" page is an feature only recommended for advanced users. Check this box to enable the "Secure Browsing" page in the menu.

With no intent to demean exquisite PSI tool, I saw no bug reports, so I filed one. For correctness sake, I give my vote for fixing bugs instead of letting them linger, for as long as older versions are available for download.

But it is not a big deal. As you say, the real state can be deduced from PSI output, equally in 1.5.0.2 and 2.0.0.4003, yet, I say, I just saw it and I follow these forums and I saw no bug report nor fix.

Stay well
iJC mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Nov, 2011 15:33
In words of Dr. Jack Hyles, Secunia PSI is worth doing well, because it is worth doing.

Stay well
iJC
mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 20th Nov, 2011 18:31
I'm not gonna waste any more round on friendly fire, Maurice.

I believe you are defending wrong cause. As a software developer myself, I fix all bugs I am able to locate in code. There's just no point in making them linger.

All the best,
mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 21:05
What are U banging on about. I do not work for or represent Secunia. That is how ALL vendors operate.

What programmes have U deleveloped that breaks the general ruling?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 21st Nov, 2011 10:09
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2011 10:10
on 20th Nov, 2011 21:05, Maurice Joyce wrote:
What are U banging on about. I do not work for or represent Secunia. That is how ALL vendors operate.

What programmes have U deleveloped that breaks the general ruling?

I am your humble servant, no offence meant at all.

I haven't had projects in class of Secunia PSI, but I can recollect how you people abhorred M$ and Big Software behavior i.e. when M$ nonchalantly leaves unpatched 0-day hole for more than a month until next patch Tuesday, and when many browsers are left in state "unpatched, no vendor solution".

I don't see the reason to become territorial, the issue is to patch PSI bug, and not to undermine your reputation as a long time contributor.

God bless.
mt

--
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 11:22
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2011 11:25
On the basis of your comment:

I'm not gonna waste any more round on friendly fire, Maurice.

I will lock this thread. U can apply by email to support@secunia.com if U wish to reopen it but I will not respond further until such time as U publish your website details or a programme download link that I (we) can evaluate your claims to being an IT programmer who has created something that is fully up to date & of benefit to a general PC user.

Better still,Secunia are hiring. Submit it to them with your CV & there could be a opening to working in one of the most beautiful cities in the World.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.