Forum Thread: PSI performed auto-update of apps based on other partitions

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
beermatt PSI performed auto-update of apps based on other partitions
Member 7th Jan, 2012 19:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've had Secunia PSI installed for several years (since it was a beta product, around 2007-08), and not had any problem with it until yesterday.
Yesterday I noticed that a number of programs (e.g. Quicktime) had been installed on my PC, and Firefox had been downgraded from 9.0.1 to 3.6.25. After initially being confused how this happened I eventually identified that PSI was showing these installations in its Auto-Update History.
My PC is currently running Windows 7 Pro SP1 (32-bit), however there are other partitions on the HDD containing other previous versions of Windows (Windows 7 beta/RC and XP); these other partitions do contain older installations of programs so I had set PSI to ignore them. I'm not sure now whether I used Ignore Rules or the Drives tab, however both are now blank (the Drives tab is now completely blank - it doesn't show any list at all below "Detected Drives: (Check drive letters to include)".
I did have "Enable automatic program updates" enabled, but additionally had "Prompt before running automatic program updates" enabled to allow me to approve updates before installation, however this definitely did not happen (there was no notification or indication that PSI had 'updated' the programs until I looked at the Dashboard); I've now disabled "Enable automatic program updates" to hopefully prevent this happening again.
Is there any explanation for how this could happen (particularly without notification), and any other suggestions to prevent it happening again? I'm also concerned about the empty Ignore Rules and Drives tabs, and ideas for how to restore the previous settings?

Matt.

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI performed auto-update of apps based on other partitions
Handling Contributor 7th Jan, 2012 20:28
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Matt,
Does it complete a scan or do U get an Abort Scan message?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
beermatt RE: PSI performed auto-update of apps based on other partitions
Member 7th Jan, 2012 21:32
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Jan 2008
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2012 21:32
Maurice,

It was showing scan results for all drives (including 'old' programs from other drives). I've now manually performed another full scan which has now completed successfully - the score has returned to 100%, and the Drives tab is now showing the list of drives again (with only the C: drive selected) so looks as if the previous settings have now been restored.

So the only question now is why did this happen (particularly software 'updates' without notification) and should I do anything else to prevent it from happening again?

Matt.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2012 02:09
Matt,
Happens sometimes - very difficult to explain how these oddities sometimes appear but pleased to see U are OK now.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JGaskell RE: PSI performed auto-update of apps based on other partitions
Member 8th Jan, 2012 11:06
This happened to me too. It downgraded my Firefox from 9.0.1 to 3.6.something. Same with my Thunderbird. I also notice it has lost all history (I have had it many years) and it had lost my Secunia Community Profile (I re-entered it). It now only knows about the last few days.
And it has started reporting on "old" versions on my backup F: drive.
I can not unselect because the Config-Settings-Drives screen is Empty.
Note I have Auto-Update turned OFF and still it shows an update of Firefox etc :-
Date Program From Version To Version State
6. Jan 2012, 16:21 Adobe Flash Player 10.x 10.2.152.26 (NPAPI) 10.3.183.10 (NPAPI) Failure
6. Jan 2012, 12:43 Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x 3.6.15 3.6.25 Success
5. Jan 2012, 20:05 Adobe AIR 2.x 2.0.4.13090 2.7.1 Success
5. Jan 2012, 20:03 Adobe Flash Player 10.x 10.2.152.26 (NPAPI) 10.3.183.10 (NPAPI) Success
5. Jan 2012, 20:00 Mozilla Firefox 3.6.x 3.6.15 3.6.25 Success
5. Jan 2012, 19:58 Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.x 3.1.9 3.1.17 Success
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2012 11:16
I have now done a re-scan (just like Beermat) and it is behaving again. It is showing no insecure or EOL, and the Config-Settings-Drive screen is now showing two drives with the F: (backup) drive correctly unticked.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Jan, 2012 17:46
Interesting - I've also done further scans, which also seem ok (100% results, Drives list shows all drives with only C: selected).

However JGaskell's comments are interesting, I also appear to have lost history in the "Development in your Secunia System Score for the past weeks" (only "Week 01" and "Now" show), however "Security patches for your programs during the past months" still shows information going back to August.

As JGaskell also appears to have experienced a similar problem but with Auto-Update turned OFF (I've also now set mine to off) I'm just wondering if there is anything else that can be done to help ensure it doesn't happen again e.g. would setting the service "Secunia Update Agent" to Disabled (rather than Manual) help?

Matt.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2012 19:21
Matt,
The issue of the loss of the history detail was raised here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/119...

U will note my comment which is pure guessing. I suggest U contact Secunia Support at:

support@secunia.com

& ask them to comment on this thread for U.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Jan, 2012 20:24
Maurice,

Thanks again - the problem described on that thread looks very similar (particularly because of note about "Drives tab there are no drives visible (not simply unchecked - not there at all).").
I'm also using version 2.0.0.1003 of PSI (same as John Greener on that thread) so looks as if there may be a common issue? I suppose I assumed that as PSI was checking for updates for other programs it would also notify for updates for itself (or auto-update itself)..

I'll now install the latest version, and may also send an email as suggested by you. Is there a link to any more info on the "Secunia Server "wobbly" in December" you mentioned on the other thread?

Matt.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Jan, 2012 23:09
Matt,
I think there are two issues here & I am not sure they are linked.

The lost of the history on a few members PC's is a mystery & my guess it was caused by the Secunia server "wobbly" (or unannounced server maintenance) in December 2011. Secunia have never commented about this issue on the Forum.

The other is the TOTAL & PERMANENT lost of Drive information in the settings tab. I have recreated this error on my XP SP3 test PC & have almost been persuaded that is was caused by the use of a Registry Cleaner (I test many of them along with other third party "freebies")hence I asked John if he used one.

No one to date has produced a solution regarding the loss of drive information &, as my thread suggests, I am slowly working on which programme it was that caused the issue.

I have no evidence that this aspect is a PSI bug & on that basis have never reported it as such.

Hope this helps a little.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 9th Jan, 2012 19:56
Like John Greener on the other thread, I have not used a Reg Cleaner.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Jan, 2012 21:38
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2012 21:40
But your drive function has recovered if I am reading your post correctly.

My post clearly says TOTAL & PERMANENT loss of drives showing which as far as I am concerned is a different issue.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.