Forum Thread: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
technogeek592 PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA
Member 14th Jan, 2012 21:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hello,
Yesterday I found a thread from someone having the same kind of problem as I am - some versions of .NET framework being reported as insecure even though Windows Update thinks all is well. In that thread Mr. Joyce pointed the original poster (and me) to the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. I installed it and launched it, but before running it I discovered that PSI hangs at Verifying Internet connection. I didn't even bother running the thing - I uninstalled it and tried PSI again. No luck. I tried restoring the system to just before I installed it; still no luck. Two attempts to restore to the point just before that one failed with some message about being unable to access a file. I checked the Internet options according the the FAQ, and everything was the same as before. So what has changed? How do I get it going again?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 on a Toshiba laptop. Windows Update finds no outstanding Windows patches.

Thank you.

Post "RE: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA
Handling Contributor 14th Jan, 2012 22:01
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
MBSA is a standalone Microsoft programme & has no connection to PSI or any other programme installed on your PC.
There have been various threads about the lack of connectivity on this Forum but yours should be covered by the FAQ here where U should double check all is exactly published by Secunia.

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/#s3

Which thread are U referring to that gave U the idea of using MBSA?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
technogeek592 RE: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA
Member 14th Jan, 2012 22:44
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Jan 2012
Thank you for your reply.
I found several such threads before posting, but none that addressed MBSA as a potential cause. It shouldn't have any connection to PSI, but something sure fouled it up, and it's the most likely suspect. And it was Jonlav's "Updates not installing" thread from six days ago that gave me the idea to try it.

Going through the FAQ:
Active scripting is enabled
https://*.secunia.com is in the trusted sites list
Secunia PSI agent automatic, started
Secunia Update agent automatic, not started. I can start it manually, but then it immediately stops.

Also, PSI doesn't seem to be going to the Internet at all. As soon as I start it, I don't see any activity on my modem whatsoever.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA
Handling Contributor 14th Jan, 2012 23:08
When U click on this link what happens?

https://psi.secunia.com:443/

Using IE 9 type this in the browser Search Box 213.150.41.226 - press the search arrow.

Which web page does it open?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
technogeek592 RE: PSI hangs at Verifying Internet Connection after installing MBSA
Member 14th Jan, 2012 23:40
The first link goes to http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

Putting the IP address in the Google search box gives me Google's search results for it. Going straight to that address brings up Secunia's home page.

I don't seem to be having any problems with my browsers or e-mail client - only PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jan, 2012 23:52
That test proves U can contact the Secunia servers.

Try reverting to an older version to see if that works.

Click this link: http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe

Let the programme run - it will uninstall the current version & install 1.50.02.

Does that version work correctly?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2012 00:47
It didn't work when I launched it right after installing it. But I was in the standard account I use most of the time. And I can't find the shortcut in my Start menu in that account to run it in administrator mode. So I logged into my administrator account and tried it there; it worked. At first it showed the same problem with insecure .NET framework versions I'd been having. But when I ran a full scan, those went away. The new insecurity that showed up is one I've been expecting (Adobe Reader 10.x).

It's looking promising now. Thanks for staying up past 11 p.m. your time to help me out!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2012 02:58
Between the football games, I reinstalled the current version of PSI in my admin account and tried it. Success! I went back to my standard account and tried it again. Again, it worked just fine!

Apparently, for whatever reason I needed to uninstall and reinstall to clear up the problem. Thank you very much for your help! Not only did you help me get PSI going again, you also gave me some insight into what was going on with my original problem as well. It looks like PSI has trouble determining whether multiple versions of the .NET Framework have received necessary updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 10:58
Please to see U have got it all sorted.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.