Forum Thread: How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
boomslang1 How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?
Member 26th Jan, 2012 23:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 16th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
After scans I keep getting a score of 98%. AM missing a MS Security patch (MS12-003 (2646524) I use the Windows Secrets news letter to keep up with my patching. They say this about the patch:

MS12-003 (2646524)
A regional fix for Windows XP and Vista

Rated important, the exploit patched by KB 2646524 applies only to systems running Windows XP, Vista, or Windows Server Versions 2003 and 2008 that are configured with a Chinese, Japanese, or Korean locale.

So if you don't live there, why are you getting this update? It's a proactive patch, should you ever change your location or use Unicode characters.

%u25BA What to do: If you're certain you'll never set your machine to Chinese, Japanese, or Korean locales, skip KB 2646524 (MS12-003).

I'm certain I will never set my machine to those locales. How can I create an ignore rule or delete that missing patch from the scan results to return my machine to it's usual 100% score? It bugs me not to have a 100% score. Perhaps Secunia has addressed this in some other way? Thx- boomslang

Post "RE: How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2012 01:49
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am a fully paid up member of Windows Secrets. U must be relying on one of Susan Bradley's missives.

If U really want to create an ignore rule do this:

PROGRAMME EXCLUSION RULE

Open PSI>Scan results>expand any programme by clicking the "+" to the left of the programme entry.
This will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES and below it two Yellow Folders. Click the folder with the RED dot which will create an Ignore Rule for that item.

Hope this helps.

Update 10 10:45 04/07/2011

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
boomslang1 RE: How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?
Member 27th Jan, 2012 02:37
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Dec 2008
Maurice- thx for the reply. There are no folders under detected instances. Just this:

Microsoft Security Patches Not Installed:
KB2646524

It appears that security patches don't have this available just programs. In fact every item in the scan results has the detected instances folders except the security patch. Any other ideas?

-boomslang1
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2012 02:43
From what U state I assume that your Windows OS is showing as insecure?

If that is the case it cannot be altered. As far as Secunia is concerned your OS is vulnerable until such time as that patch is installed.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
boomslang1 RE: How to create an ignore rule for a specific MS update?
Member 27th Jan, 2012 03:07
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Dec 2008
Correct. Win XP is insecure. I suppose I could install the patch and it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm a little concerned that Secunia doesn't have a work around for this. There must be millions of US user PC's running XP that have no intention of ever running their PC's in those Asian locales such as me. It seems a change in the scan definitions to exclude that patch would be a simple fix. Thx for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Jan, 2012 11:31
Sorry I could not give U better news to meet your requirement.

I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.