Forum Thread: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Foxit Corporation
And, this specific program:
Foxit Reader 5.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
akbmcf1 PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0
Member 31st Jan, 2012 11:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 19th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hi,

I've had a problem with Foxit Reader whereby I cannot completely uninstall the program from my computer. I think is linked to the fact that when I originally installed 5.02.0718, the installation crashed and I ended up having to install a beta version of 5.02.809 (under the advice of the tech support people) to correctly install Foxit Reader.

Even though I have run the uninstall, I cannot remove it completely from my system - the program still shows in Secunia PSI as being installed (and therefore Insecure) despite not showing up in the Programs menu, or in Windows' Add/Remove Programs or Revo Uninstaller.

To resolve this, I've tried installing Foxit Reader 5.1.3 in the hope the install process would overwrite whatever 5.0 files there are and then uninstalled 5.1.3 to try to remove the program completely. However, Secunia keeps picking up the (incomplete) 5.0.2.718 installation. When you navigate to the path - C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit 5.0 - there is a Foxit Reader.exe file which can be run, but it's obviously a failed installation as it hangs just as it did when I originally tried to install 5.02.0718 way back when (see first paragraph).

The other files at that path are as follows: unins000.dat and unins000.exe (although the unins000.exe won't run as it throws an error message saying that unins000.msg is missing).

Any suggestions?? :-)

Post "RE: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2012 15:29
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What is the actual file path PSI shows U as the vulnerable file?

Follow that path then right click & delete it

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
akbmcf1 RE: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0
Member 31st Jan, 2012 16:12
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Jan 2012
Actual file path is C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit 5.0\Foxit Reader.exe

With it being a bad install, will simply deleting the file (and the other two files in the folder) be okay? I'm always concerned about messing the registry and the like when you just 'delete' things rather than properly uninstalling them.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2012 18:34
Perfectly safe.

Nothing else U can do if vendors do not uninstall their left over dross correctly.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
akbmcf1 RE: PSI picking up old program that won't uninstall - Foxit Reader 5.0
Member 31st Jan, 2012 22:13
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Jan 2012
That's great, thanks very much for your advice and help. Back to 100% now!

Next thing - work out how to get my HP software to avoid installing Flash 9 when I already have Flash 11. Software companies, eh? :-)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Jan, 2012 22:23
Please to see U have got it all sorted.
On that basis, I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.