Forum Thread: File System Filter issue

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
navilor File System Filter issue
Member 26th Feb, 2012 06:16
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Feb, 2012
System Score: N/A
There was another topic on a related issue on this forum:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/720...

This is far from the end of the world but I noticed that I was getting the following warning (not error, but warning) in Event Viewer / Windows Logs / System:
File System Filter 'PSI' (Version 6.0, %u200E2010%u200E-%u200E08%u200E-%u200E31T23:53:14. 000000000Z) failed to register with Filter Manager. The final status for this operation was 0xc01c0011.

The XML, in case you need that, is as follows:
========================================
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/ev...">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager" Guid="{F3C5E28E-63F6-49C7-A204-E48A1BC4B09D}" />
<EventID>5</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-26T04:38:05.606928600Z" />
<EventRecordID>52643</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="64" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>kpm-win764</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="FinalStatus">0xc01c0011</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceVersionMajor">6</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceVersionMinor">0</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceNameLength">3</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceName">PSI</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceTime">2010-08-31T23:53:14.000000000Z</ Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
========================================

Details of my system:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
12GB RAM
Core -7 920
4 1TB drives and one 256GB SSD

More details can be provided upon request.

Steps to reproduce this issue on my system:
1) Uninstall PSI. Remove the Secunia directory, sub directories and files that are left behind in those directories. Clean out your temp files under both Windows and your user account.

2) Make sure that you resolve all warning and error messages in Event Log. The only things you should see are informational in nature. If you see other errors or warnings you might want to take care of those before proceeding.

3) Reboot your PC. When it comes back up you should clean out the logs in Event Viewer so you can have a "clean slate"

4) Download the latest version of Secunia PSI from here:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

5) Install Secuina PSI.

6) Check your Event Viewer and you should see three yellow warnings identical to the one shown above.

I have both my clean log as well as a screenshot of my Event Log after I installed Secunia PSI. Please let me know if you would like me to submit them to support@secunia.com and I will be happy to provide them to you.

If those logs are insufficient I will be happy to monitor the installation of Secunia PSI with Process Explorer and filter per your direction:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb...

I did notice that when I did my apparently clean uninstall (If I performed the uninstall incorrectly then please let me know) that Secunia PSI still had access to previous scan results. I have three programs that are end of life and they showed up before I did a scan of my system.

If the description of my issue is in any way vague please let me know so that I can provide clarification.

This user no longer exists RE: File System Filter issue
Member 27th Feb, 2012 10:45
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Since this is only a warning, it should not impact the functionality of the PSI.

Please notify us if you have any problems using the PSI.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.