Forum Thread: PSI 3 beta is useless!

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Antonimo PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 10th Mar, 2012 14:41
Ranking: 1
User Since: 8th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
Just upgraded to 3.0 Beta and I am shocked at the lack of controls and information.

Which programs are being monitored? How can we find out? Which programs are not being monitored.

In fact, is PSI 3.0 Beta doing anything at all?

I have immediately uninstalled it and I won't be upgrading unless it improves.

If it is not improved, it will just become another good program that I used to use, but which lost its way.

Leendert Kip PSI 3 beta is useless!
Contributor 10th Mar, 2012 15:45
Score: 137
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 10th Mar, 2012 15:46
You are right, v. 3.0 Beta has no controls whatsoever. The design philosophy is to make it as simple as can be for the not so experienced home user. And that works for me! If you read through the forum there were a lot of comments the last week, indeed mainly about the total lack of controls. After using v. 1 and 2 for a long time I decided to see what v.3 does and up to now it's OK for me. I only wait for the next monthly Microsoft patchday and see how v. 3 works then. The only advice I can give you: install the last version, being 2.4003.

--
PC: PWA Computers
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
Kingston DDR3 ValueRam 4GB 1333
Kingston SSD SV300S 240GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Google Chrome 66.0.3359.117

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
mbinder RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 10th Mar, 2012 18:04
Score: 4
User Since: 30th May 2008
I fully agree with Antonimo!
A security application without a possiblity to control or monitoring is useless. If i can't see which programs are monitored i can not be sure, that PSI ist working correct.

Perhaps you should have an option for advanced users.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
fryerlawrence RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 10th Mar, 2012 19:46
User Since: 7th Mar 2012
I still am a brand new user to PSI and at first I downloaded the PSI 3 beta. It was easy enough to use...however...when I encountered problems with some security patches...you might as well have given me a an F-22 fighter jet maxed out, full after-burners, with no parachute or stick to fly it with. I felt helpless because there were no options.

Only after my research, by recommendation, and downloading PSI version 2 that I was able to get some real help. Especially with the troubleshooting log that everyone asks for when helping you. That is INVALUABLE. One reason is because I could not find Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.x to save my life. Secuina was able to give me the filepath even after I tried and tried and tried to find it through Windows Explorer using at least 7 different variants to what I was trying to look for.

Hope this helps...take it easy.

Best regards, "My supervisor....is GENIUS!...I transfer!" -Peggy, U.S.A Prime Credit

--
fryerlawrence
Was this reply relevant?
+4
rgeiken RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 13th Mar, 2012 23:56
Score: 8
User Since: 13th Mar 2012
I went from Version 2 to Version 3 thinking there would be an improvement. I am like most people who have posted here very disappointed in Version 3 Beta. Every time that my Windows 7 computer boots up, I have a red square for PSI, and when I run the program, it usually tells me that everything is up to date and the icon turns green. This did not happen with version 2. It would only go red when a program was discovered to be out of date. Version 3 and its successors need to a user panel where they can actually see what is going on. Right now, this version 3 is just like the idiot light on an automobile versus the gauges that you find available on newer cars. Right now, I am disappointed with Secunia. I put version 2 on my other computers and also computers of friends since the information that it provided was valuable to me when I looked at their computers. Whoever suggested the version 3 interface should be send to the "Woodshed"!!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+4
dondtus RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 14th Mar, 2012 05:12
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
I am shocked to see that Secunia has abandoned the most useful part of their product: the ability of the user to choose what they see.

A very large white box with only a large green check or red logo square is NOT what I want in a utility which has provided me with great information in the past. Now if they were to offer different views - a easy beginner view for those who are not tech savvy, and a detailed view for those of us who want all the details - that would be a different story. They would be offering choice.

As for my choice - I am going to uninstall this beta and go back to the released version 2.
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Schitti RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 15th Mar, 2012 09:43
User Since: 20th Apr 2008
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2012 09:45
Hi!
I think the same as dondtus: there should be an 'user' and an 'administrator' mode!
I have PSI 2.x on nearly all of my PCs (not on all reinstalled after new setup yet) and on all PCs in my family. So I can assure that their computers are nearly patched (they all do install Windows patches, where not automatically installed) - sometimes when there is a problem with some outdated or insecure software I take a look and solve it ...
so PSI 3 is completely useless for me ... I'll stay at version 2.x!

I hope they over think this 'bug' and make an 'user' and 'advanced' interface!

I forgot to mention that I use PSI since many years (since version 1.x) and was quite happy with!
Was this reply relevant?
+4
rgeiken RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 15th Mar, 2012 16:15
User Since: 13th Mar 2012
Just uninstall PSI 3 and reinstall PSI 2. I just did that and everything is OK now.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Gozzy82 RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 15th Mar, 2012 16:22
Score: 3
User Since: 15th Mar 2012
I completely agree this really sucks! I wanted to show Secunia to a coworker today and was shocked at the lack of interface, at least make a "show expert pane" button or something like that(!) so we can get the old interface back!
Was this reply relevant?
+3
wally.nl RE: PSI 3 beta is useless!
Member 15th Mar, 2012 17:16
Score: 3
User Since: 6th Jul 2009
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2012 17:17
+1 for the "it's useless" remark. Used 1.x and 2.x before and the total lack of controls may be nice for a novice user but I find it totaly useless as well. It doesn't have any detailed info/logging/controls and some updates seem to get installed without having to click on anything for confirmation; that's an absolute no-go.

Strange enough it doesn't complain about the outdated Java 6.0.27 on a test system@work that caused the system to get infected yesterday by an attack from a popular dutch newssite nu.nl

To give CSI3 some slack; MS forefront is at least as bad as CSI3 because it didn't complain about the infection yesterday at all :)

Going back to 2.x
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.