Forum Thread: Macromedia Flash Program 6x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Macromedia Flash Player 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Aonghas Macromedia Flash Program 6x
Member 14th Mar, 2012 12:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Aug, 2011
System Score: N/A
In the "Scan Results" section of Secunia PSI, Macromedia Flash Player 6x is shown as an End-of-Life program. It is impossible to install a solution (update) and the program is not listed in the Program Files or Add or Remove Program section of the Control Panel - unlike Adobe Flash Player 11x which has been updated.

FILE PATH

---START---

Program Name:
Macromedia Flash Player 6.x (ActiveX)

Security State:
End-of-Life

Download Link:
http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie

Instances Found:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Flash.ocx, version: 6.0.79.0 (ActiveX)

Last System Scan (localtime):
14. Mar 2012, 03:39

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional,

---END---

After double clicking on "You can double click this row for additional information and options located under "Detected Instances" on the "Scan Results" page, I was able find "Macromedia" under system 32 and below that the "Flash" file. At this point, being a newbie, I just don't know how to proceed. Do I delete what is inside the "Flash" file - much of which is Adobe - although in system 32 I have an Adobe Shockwave file as well.

Any assistance in rectifying this problem would be greatly appreciated(!) as I have no idea on how to move forward.

Aonghas

Maurice Joyce RE: Macromedia Flash Program 6x
Handling Contributor 14th Mar, 2012 13:59
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

To clear your problem do this:

DELETING A FILE OR FOLDER USING PSI VERSION 2

To delete a vulnerable file or folder found by PSI try this:

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows Explorer & U will be able to see the vulnerable files or folders.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Flash.ocx, version: 6.0.79.0 (ActiveX)

6. Right click on it & select delete. If it will not delete EXIT any programme using Flash which includes your browsers.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

Update 2 23:40 14/01/2012

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Dale Lisa RE: Macromedia Flash Program 6x
Member 14th Mar, 2012 14:03
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
I don't have any idea what to do either. If vendor doesn't support Macromedia Flash Player how to uninstall it? Add/Remove Program shows Flash Player ActiveX/Plug-in latest version, do I have to uninstall that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dale Lisa RE: Macromedia Flash Program 6x
Member 14th Mar, 2012 14:21
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
I open the program in C:Program Files\Online Services\Canada\AOL- and right click and it deleted without a problem and did all three of them. Now I have a 100% Secunia System Score, thanks to you. Mahalo a lot from Hawaii.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Macromedia Flash Program 6x
Handling Contributor 21st Mar, 2012 18:42
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Thread reopened. This is the latest response from the originator.

I tried to post this as a reply to Maurice in my last thread/post but found it was locked. I have been busy and am a little tardy in responding - especially when I am so anxious to solve this problem. At any rate here is my response to Maurice's post - hopefully someone will be able to assist me with this problem. For reference, the original thread was started on 14 Mar, 12:12 and is about the same subject matter "Macromedia Flash Player 6x" and was started by me (Aonghas). Hopefully someone can help me with the following:

Thank you, Maurice, for your response. Unfortunately, instead of finding c:\WINDOWS\system32\Flash.ocx, version 6.0.79.0 (active X), I was only able to find C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash11g.ocx, File version 11.1.102.63 (Active x Control).

Although the Flash appears to to be Macromedia, under Version in the Properties section, the following is also stated:

Version 11.1.102.63
Description: Adobe Flash Player 11.1 r102
Copyright: Adobe Flash Player, copyright 1996-20

Under Program Files I was able to find a folder entitled "commercial" (c:\Program Files). Inside I found an application file entitled: commercial_1024x768.exe
Macromedia Flash Player 7.0 r14
Macromedia. Inc. - created on April 17, 2006
Under version in the "commercial_1024x768.exe" Properties appears the following:

File Version: 7.0.14.0
Description: Macromedia Flash Player 7.0 r14
Copyright 1996-2003 Macromedia Inc.- under the Product Name, it says Shockwave Flash.

The "commercial" folder also includes:

Blank.swf
Shockwave Flash Object
1KB

FlashSaver.dat
DAT File
1KB

FsMpegDll.dll
File Version 1.0.0.0
Audio MPEG player DLL
Application Extension

and

Setting.vbs
VBScript Script File
2KB

I also found the following under "Documents and Settings":

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#loc al - with settings.sol (SOL File) inside, created March 31, 2006.

Unfortunately I was unable to find any other file or folder reference to Macromedia. As mentioned, I am a Newbie and I hope this message is not too convoluted and I haven't inundated you with too much useless information.

Any assistance in rectifying this problem would be greatly appreciated. I am still at 99% (Secunia Score) and a little nervous about Adobe and this vulnerability. Thank you in advance for any more support.

Aonghas

PS. Dale, I saw your reply re. "Online Services". All I have in "Online Services" is a "Refer me to more Internet Service Providers" shortcut to Internet Connection Wizard and a "Use MSN Explorer to sign up for Internet Access" shortcut which I don't use since it is U.S. only and I live in Canada - so I don't think this Program File or its contents have anything to do with my problem.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.