Forum Thread: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
khslater7 Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 23rd Mar, 2012 04:01
Ranking: 4
User Since: 6th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
I run PSI weekly on my 3 computers. Today, PSI V2 would not start a scan on my Acer Aspire One netbook with Windows 7 (it work fine last week). A reboot did not solve the problem. I decided to re-install, but found the V3 Beta and took a chance on that.

The lack of controls and status indicators is totally appalling.

It has now been 6 hours since I kicked off a scan, it decided two programs needed updated ( VLC Media Player and Google Chrome) and over 3 hours since both of these have been in the "Updating" state. I am presented with exactly two otpions "Scan Again" (no way) and "Need Help" (I don't need help, I need something that will tell me what is going on. When I mouse over the two program icons, all I get is the Windows Busy cursor.

If this is minimalist UI for V3, you be sure I will not be using you product in the future. I tried and abandoned automatic updated in V2, they took many times longer to complete than a manual download and install, and no control when they hung or had other problems. It seems that V3 has not improved this situation at all. I'm very disappointed.

This user no longer exists RE: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 23rd Mar, 2012 10:31
Hi,

Please keep in mind that the PSI 3.x is still very much in beta.

The feedback we have been receiving is being considered internally and the people in charge of these decisions will include your concerns and comments in deciding the future of the PSI.

hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gmccarthy RE: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 23rd Mar, 2012 13:20
Score: 1
User Since: 10th May 2008
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2012 13:24
I've also just installed v3 on Win7 and it says "Scanning for outdated programs", "finished scanning" and it just sits there. What exactly is it doing?

Update: Ahh - its still busy. Filling the log file up with tons of these entries:

[03/23 14:21:42.451] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
[03/23 14:21:42.951] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
[03/23 14:21:43.465] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
Was this reply relevant?
+1
khslater7 RE: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 23rd Mar, 2012 14:09
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2010
Further comments.

I appreciate it is in Beta status, which is why you are getting so much feedback, you have a lot to fix before I would consider this an acceptable product.

With essentially no user controls, PSI 3 Beta no longer gives you direct control of automatic startup on boot (yes, you can go hunt down the startup, which to your credit is a simple link in the startup folder and not buried in the registry). I do not want it to run in the background ever.

I did look at the log files (thanks to the other poster for not this), nothing interesting I can see in there.

The PSI V2 UI was always very sluggish on all my machines, very long delays between pressing a button and seeing a response. This was always unsettling when I updated a program, then did a manual rescan - the initial results where always that the problem was not fixed, then 2 to 10 seconds later "it changed it's mind" and told me all was well. Certainly V3 does not seem to have improved UI response time, but then again, who really knows, there is so little to indicate what is really going on.

I've uninstalled V3, it is just not a productive tool at this point. I hope you will come to your senses and bring back more detailed information and more meaningful and responsive controls. You may have a market for what you are showing right now, but that is certainly not suitable for your entire user base. At least this user wants to know the details, be able to see the entire installed program list and version info, be able to do manual updates and individual rescans, manage exclude lists (I have many out-of-date browsers on my systems for compatibility testing), and see scan progress status with words, percentages and something other than a useless 100 pixel progress bar.

Good luck with your development effort.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
gentryme RE: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 24th Mar, 2012 17:56
Score: 12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
I agree wholeheartedly with khslater7....

This beta version lasted less than 15 minutes on my laptop (the machine I relegate betas of various products).

And I've had some of his same complaints noted on version 2, whereby manual rescan of a product after manual updating (for the record, I never let Secunia auto-update anything--I use it mainly in a notification capacity) often continue to show "Zombie installations" for many seconds before it finally reconciles the fact the application in question has been updated.

And I also still continue to ask when Secunia scans (whether manual or automatic) and has determined a change in the number of applications from the last scan, that it list the delta product(s) by name--something I feel it ought to be able to do. If it knows the sheer number of applications changed, then it ought to know which applications those were--and such info should continue to be available for display in case the user missed seeing the balloon bubble appear that possesses some of the info (which still doesn't list the name of the deleted or added application from last scan). I'd think this would be 'security relevant' information Secunia PSI would desire to convey. I know I continue to desire to see it--and am asking for it (again) in the Forum....

As for this minimalistic version 3, and this so-called notion of 'progress', I'm sorry, I don't share your concept of it. Unless version 3 is changed to reflect familiar features and capabilities of its predecessors, I won't be using it. Especially given it propensity to want to do everything automatically for the client. Since I never do that--even with the current released version, this would be a showstopper for me, and it would cause me to uninstall and abandon the product altogether, which is unfortunate, as Secunia definitely fills a needed niche in this arena.

Frankly, I don't know of another product that does anything remotely similar. I'd, instead, turn to more manual avenues like trolling Filehippo (which, actually, I do, anyhow) to "find out" when something new I am concerned about gets any update. Come to think of it, Filehippo has a notification mechanism when something changes.... I've never made use of it, but if you decide to continue with your current minimalistic approach to future versions of Secunia PSI, I'll have no recourse but to pursue that, albeit, crude approach to notification....

I hope you decide to abandon the current direction, and I, too, wish you all the best in your development.

Regards,

Mike Gentry

--
Regards,

Mike Gentry
Was this reply relevant?
+4
This user no longer exists RE: Very Unhappy with PSI 3 Beta
Member 24th Mar, 2012 18:48
on 23rd Mar, 2012 04:01, khslater7 wrote:
If this is minimalist UI for V3, you be sure I will not be using you product in the future.
Ditto.

This new minimalist UI...well, it is as if an aircraft designer had replaced a bank of gauges and displays where you could pinpoint the issue and decide what action you needed to take with a single idiot light that says Broken. All well and good for hang gliders/mobile devices, lousy for space shuttles/complex development and R&D computers.
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.