Forum Thread: How to best update Image Magick ?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
ImageMagick Studio LLC
And, this specific program:
ImageMagick 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
JJDOttawa How to best update Image Magick ?
Member 2nd Apr, 2012 14:25
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr, 2012
System Score: N/A
---START---

Program Name:
ImageMagick 6.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://dl.secunia.com/SPS/ImageMagick_6.7.6-1.exe

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\ALL OTHERS\ImageMagick-6.6.9-8\convert.exe, version: 6.6.9

Last System Scan (localtime):
27. Mar 2012, 10:30

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7

---END---

The program provided at "install solution" wants to install at a new location than the previous version (the folder IM creates and saves in includes the version number, so different from the last). This installer also warns "uninstall the existing ImageMagick (see uninstall procedure) prior to installing the newer version."

I can not find an install.exe nor uninstall.exe in the last IM folder. The program is not listed in "Add/Remove Programs". Except for Adobe Flash which I always uninstall first, I am accustomed to simply using the "check for updates" found in most programs which clean up their own previous version leftovers. If I simply delete the old folder, what else is being left behind that also may need manual deletion, and will the new install choke on any leftover registry bits?

JJDOttawa RE: How to best update Image Magick ?
Member 2nd Apr, 2012 14:37
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr 2012
It seems I have found the original download I installed with - I used the .zip version which says "Just copy to your host and run (no installer, no Windows registry entries)." If I understand/assume correctly then, if I use the new .zip again from IM website instead of the .exe that Secunia links to, I should be good just to delete the entire older folder and old zip ? And then run with the new .zip ?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: How to best update Image Magick ?
Handling Contributor 2nd Apr, 2012 18:23
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Have U seen this thread?

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/123...

U will note there is a detection problem with this programme. Not sure whether an answer has been received from the vendor.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+4
JJDOttawa RE: How to best update Image Magick ?
Member 2nd Apr, 2012 20:28
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Apr 2012
Yes, I saw that, however it's not relevant in my case. The version I have pasted in my query is indeed older/insecure.
Thanks anyway.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.