Forum Thread: Windows 7 - interface fails to load

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
templet Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 12th Apr, 2012 16:55
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Apr, 2012
System Score: N/A
Beta 3.0 has been scanning my computer for hours and registers a system score of 94%, but continues to say "scanning for outdated programs". The main interface does not load.

krysale RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 16th Apr, 2012 06:20
Score: 0
User Since: 2nd Nov 2010
Hi,

i'm having quite the same problem but with secunia psi 2 under win7.
The interface doesn't load: it freezes at he secreen "verifying your internet connection", but the program semms stil active as the tray icon indicated the score after a timewait i interpreted as a secunia scan.
I tried desinstalling/reinstalling but without any effect.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 16th Apr, 2012 08:56
Hi,

Please try walking this item of our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

If you rebooting after following all intructions in this FAQ the problem should be resolved.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Handling Contributor 18th Apr, 2012 12:33
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Sadly, genuine submissions created on this Forum are getting "lost" amongst the sustained spammer attack posts being created.

I have grouped this post & others where Forum members have open questions & comments which should make it easier for Forum readers & helpers to navigate.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bluesman821 RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 19th Apr, 2012 02:03
User Since: 19th Apr 2012
I have tried all the fixes in the FAQ and still no go.PSI 2 "verifying internet connection"
PSI 3 tries to load but will not.I have PSI2 loaded on several computers and all was well until last weeks Microsoft updates. Now I have to go back updating on my own and hope I do not miss anything.I sure hope someone finds out what the problem is.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2012 10:29
Hi,

Are you using any third-party "Internet Security" tools?

What happens if you try to access https://psi.secunia.com using Internet Explorer?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2012 11:28
Hi,
using the faq advices didn't change anything for me.

No problem to acces https://psi.secunia.com/ either with internet explorer or firefox.
I'm using symantec endpoint as security suite, but even deactivated, the psi interface doesn't load.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bluesman821 RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 19th Apr, 2012 22:38
User Since: 19th Apr 2012
I uninstalled and reinstalled PSI 2. It seems to be working correctly for now.I have no idea what the problem was.I'm happy things are back to normal. Thanks everyone for the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Apr, 2012 16:45
HI,

i just tried uninstalling psi 2.0 (that stil failed to load ) then installing psi 3.0: not much better, unfortunately .
The interface st'ill doesn't load
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 25th Apr, 2012 22:56
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
There have been known issues with windows 7 and psi. Most involving antivirus programs,failure to trigger in the registry (uninstall with secunia program folder uninstaller and reinstall is the fix) and not having the firewall allow access(manually allowing through firewall). You may also utilize the search box at the beginning of the forum for further insights as to problems with windows 7. Hope this helps

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Apr, 2012 23:20
i just tried uninstalling psi with the uninstaller on the secunia directory, then i checked the registry with ccleaner before reinstalling: nothing have changed.
i also tried to launch psi with my firewall and antivirus (symantec endpoint) shutdown: same result.

The weird thing is that psi has been working for months on this machine!
i wonder if any recent windows update didn't cause this problem.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions; i'll just keep on searching in the forum for somethiong i could have missed... till i'm fed up with this and wait for my next reinstallation of windows
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 09:00
Hi,

Am I safe to assume that everyone is on Windows 7?

Have any of you changed your firewall settings away from the default? Are any of you running third-party security tools, particularly "Internet Security" suites?

Please try these steps:

1) Type "Administrative tools" in the start menu search bar on Windows Vista or 7 or open Administrative tools from the Control Panel in Windows XP.

2) Click the Services tool, and verify that both the "Secunia Update Agent" and "Secunia PSI Agent" have their status set to "Started" and their "Startup type" set to "Automatic".

Has this resolved the issue?

If not, what is the result of accessing https://psi.secunia.com in Internet Explorer? Please note that this test has no value if you use "http" instead of "https", or any other browser than Internet Explorer.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 15:24
Hi,

I guess the solution is near !!

No problem with the secunia psi agent sevice, but the other one doesn't even appear in my list of services !

As for the internet explorer test, it's ok to reach the https site.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 15:39
Hi,

Good, now we know what to do.

First of, close the PSI. Right-click the tray icon and close it.

Now, we need to use the command line. Run the command "cmd" (Either from the run box or directly from the search bar in Vista/Win7), and you will see a command prompt.

Now, copy-paste these commands and execute them. It is important not to omit any characters.

1) cd %ProgramFiles%\Secunia\PSI
If you are on a 64-bit system, you need to run this instead
1) cd "C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

Then, copy-paste and run this command:

2) sua.exe -i -L

If you start the PSI now, the problem should be solved.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 15:58
Almost !!!

Closed the tray icon; soved to the right directory; started the 'secunia update agent' service... but it failed to start (and the lauching of the program didn't get any better).

Maybe a problem with one of the secunia update agent service dependencies that has the wrong starting status.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 17:59
Score:
Last edited on 27th Apr, 2012 18:02
@krysale & templet

No Guarntees, Here are known antiviruses that have caused problems with Windows 7 both for 2.0 and potentially 3.0. Security Essentials,Avira,Kaspersky's. I can advise I have never had a probl;em to date with Avg or Avast
possible quick fix:
1. Control panel
2. Network and Internet
3. click on internet options (W7: lower left corner)
4. chose the Tab 'Contents'
5. and delete the SSL status

It should start
Remember: You must have full Administrative Privileges to run PSI
Maybe?

Please give us the full details of what you are running for a browser,antivirus nad malware it all has potential in aiding . Thanks

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 18:11
Last edited on 27th Apr, 2012 18:21
Hi,

SSL status cleared.... no changes !
I'm administrator indeed.

I use firefox 12.0. (and have the latest internet eplorer installed and updated).
Security suite: symantec endpoint protection ver 12.1.671.4971

Bothing more running in the security domain. I sometimes use malware byte anti-malware but stop it manually after scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 20:04
Score:
Last edited on 27th Apr, 2012 20:06
@krysale

O.k. I don't know how game you are for this,but here goes. Knowing that there have been problems with the installers triggering the registry,lets try this:
1,Clean out everything that has to do with Secunia,at least from add/remove through the
registry. If you know how to use D.O.S command clear out C: drive upon clearing the
registry. verify that program files are also removed.
2. Go to the Secunia down load site only! no third party installers.
3. I want you down load 1.5.0.2 and install with all antiviruses programs running just as you normally do. Hopefully this will run correctly.
4. Without uninstalling download and install/overwrite 2.0 from secunia site only. Hopefully this will run correctly. If happy with with 2.0 stay with it. Or go onto 3.0 and again do not uninstall but use the installer to overwrite the previous release
This may correct problems with the registry and solve any configuration problems. Don't forget to reverify all items in f.a.q. And have everything back to your normal settings prior to attempting the re-installs above.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Apr, 2012 23:16
Haha !! I think I'm gonna start taking bets on it...

I first closed the secunia tray icon ; then uninstalled the programm via the uninstallator given under under c/program files/secunia; then checked the registry with ccleaner (i don't know the dos command you talked about); then dowloaded and installed the 1.5 version at secunia.com ... and ...(suspense)... the interface failed to load ! Instead i got a super bonus rewarding message:
'an error occured while verifying the security certificate. The secunia psi cannot continue execution.'

by curiosity, i checked the running services: no secunia service running at all !

Pfff....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Apr, 2012 07:16
Score:
@krysalr

You need to ensure you're running the latest version on Microsoft Update.
Please also verify that you've added http://*.secunia.com and https://*.secunia.com to your trusted zones in Internet Explorer. This can be configured from Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites. You will need to un-check "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" before adding http://*.secunia.com . You have to manually add this info. Please re-verify this step

Secondly is the platform you are using a oem with a purchase of your p.c.,a wipe and re-install of Windows 7 home or ultimate, or did you use a Windows 7 update version overwrite of of a prior oem?

We are close. PSI 1502 was the most stable of all platforms prior to 2.0 and 3.0 what you are stating shows that something is blocking the return transmission from PSI.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jetbear RE: Windows 7 - interface fails to load
Member 28th Apr, 2012 07:20
Score: 2
User Since: 28th Apr 2012
I was having the same problem with PSI not connecting to the internet. I did as one writer suggested and unchecked SSL 3, and restarted PSI. I was pleasantly surprised when it finally ran, as following the series of fixes in the FAQ got me nowhere. As I am concerned about security when making on-line purchase, it rechecked the SSL 3 box and attempted to start PSI again. I don't know if I was just luck, but it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for all the suggestions :-)

Win7 Home Premium 64
Intel Q9450 @2.66GHz
Firefox 12.0
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 28th Apr, 2012 08:03
It finally loadded !

I have unchecked the ssl 3 and ssl 2, restarted the computer, tryed to launch psi 1.5: it failed;
then rechecked ssl 2 and ssl 3, and lauched psi 1.5 with success this time. Then i installed psi 3 over it.
Ouf ! What a job !
Thank you everybody for your your help and suggestions
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.