Forum Thread: newb experiences

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists newb experiences
Member 18th Apr, 2012 22:27
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 18th Apr, 2012 22:29

1) i have Adobe Flash 11,2,202,228 installed
Adobe has update to 11.2.202.233 on their site. And Flash self-update did noticed that BTW.

Still PSI offers me no update, and flash is one of most insecure programs :-(

2) PSI preference "Auto-update" is VERY ambiguous.
Put below "auto-run on boot" option it reads "auto-update PSI itself" while in reality it mean "auto-update 3rd-party programs via PSI"
Very confusing.

3) if PSI started some update process - there is no way to cancel it

4) PSI can show what version is installed but does not show what version and from where it offers to install. And it can be importand to decide if user wants to update or not.

5) During updates, after each one "PSI found updateable programs" alert in Windows tray appears time and again. Very annoying. Why should it flash if there are still updates pending ? What it doesalert about ?
It only should flash once per session, no more.

6) when PSI offers to send data to support, it asks me for my e-mail.
6a) why there is no option to view the data to be send ? Should i blindly trust you to collect any potentially private data u found interest for you analysis ?
6b) why should i manually key-in my e-mail time and again ? Why it is not remembered ?

7) the exe-name PSI.exe is the same as of well-known and pre-dating jabber client. It is kinda impolite.

8) Secunia is known for vulnerability databases. So i'd expect to see about each softwware - how dangerous it would be to stay un-updated. But this Secunia-brand service is not offered.
Instead just blind version checker is run, just like Software Informe, AppUpdater and dozens of similar apps, which are often less consuming and more informative...
I expected Secunia to care about my safety, not just about shear version numbers.
There are already very money of wanna-be-packet-manager toold or Windows out there.
You could be unique - but you decided to be one of the crowd :-(

9) PSI updated Apple Bonjour from 1.x to2.x - but could not detect it and still showing "preparning update". Re-started search.

10) Tray icon just thrown me alert baloon, that i have programs for manual update - bu the scanning is still in-process. Seems to early - i'd expect that alert when PSI would be ready to listen to user's commands.

11) seems no options to freeze application, if i do not want to update it for a while or at all.
It would get detected and produce a;ert time and again...

So forth, all i can remember for 1st attempt at running PSI

PS. it detected VLc Win x64 1.2 from KDE4-for-Win project. I wonder what it would update it too and from where - pity that most intriguing info is hidden from user...

This user no longer exists RE: newb experiences
Member 24th Apr, 2012 16:06
BTW, it moved OpenTTD into default Program Files\OpenTTD folder, ignoring where it was installed initially :-(
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Apr, 2012 08:37
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Some of the issues you have raised are already known to us internally. We will consider your suggestions and forward the relevant parts to our developers.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Apr, 2012 11:49
on 18th Apr, 2012 22:27, wrote:

PS. it detected VLc Win x64 1.2 from KDE4-for-Win project.

It stucks forever in "preparing update" mode.

After few days i de-installed PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Apr, 2012 15:54
Hi,

If you still wish, we can help you try correcting the issues.

In your case, I would suggest a reboot before scanning again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Apr, 2012 15:58
i did reboot.

i really de-installed it, mainly because of #8 issue
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.