Forum Thread: Summary on OpenOffice

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
OpenOffice.org
And, this specific program:
OpenOffice.org 3.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Fulvio Summary on OpenOffice
Member 19th Apr, 2012 18:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I am tired of this topic, and, I found, probably hundreds of posts, and many threads on the subject.. My latest post was three weeks ago, and, all threads are locked.
I have had a single "vulnerability", in my system, no matter what I did. And, you can guess which one it is.
This morning same thing. I have the same version, installed, which comes with the PSI fix.
So, I did some search in the OpenOffice newsgroups, and, found out, that my problem, of being unable to check for updates is due to a defect of v.3.3. A post stated that there will be no improvement till v.3.4 comes out.
I have tried to keep my machine secure, but, I think that there have been enough issues in this case, that PSI could attempt to be informative. This has been going on for too long a time.

mkalen RE: Summary on OpenOffice
Member 23rd Apr, 2012 11:24
Score: 10
User Since: 23rd Dec 2008
Secunia has packaged a fix for the v3.3 vulnerability.

Instead of waiting for the transition of the OpenOffice.org project from Oracle to Apache Software Foundation (through the incubator) and the 3.4 release, you could just select "Download Solution" from within Secunia PSI, apply the patch/run the downloaded "OOo_3.3.9567.500.exe" and finally re-scan the program within PSI. This clears the vulnerability mark.

I have just tested this successfully with OOo 3.3.0 (soffice.exe 3.3.9556.500) + Secunia patch.

100% score and green status in PSI after this.

See also reply from Secunia in this thread: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/123... (J. Vemmer, 26th Mar, 2012 09:33)
Was this reply relevant?
+5
davidb009 RE: Summary on OpenOffice
Member 28th Apr, 2012 12:15
Score: 6
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
My own experience is exactly the same. I am also tired of searching for a solution. Taking the thread's comment on 3.3 being defective and having to wait for 3.4 to be issued at face value, I feel that this information should be immediately available on appropriate Open Office web pages. I am not impressed!

ALSO, the same comment is equally applicable to Secunia!

--
davidb009
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mkalen RE: Summary on OpenOffice
Member 28th Apr, 2012 15:38
Score: 10
User Since: 23rd Dec 2008
Frankly, I do not understand your critique against Secunia - they give you and me free software to identify vulnerabilities on our computers and they even wrap up a fix so that you can automatically remedy this. That's great in my opinion. I have tried the solution and it works perfectly, see my earlier comment in this thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+5

This thread has been marked as locked.