Forum Thread: Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Quitch Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?
Member 9th May, 2012 10:20
Ranking: 5
User Since: 17th Apr, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've hopped in at beta 2 so haven't had a chance to find this out yet. PSI 2 would prompt you to update, rather reducing its usefulness when installed on the computers of those who needed it the most.

Has this changed in PSI 3? I'd love for the program to just update itself as needed, perhaps make it a toggle box which was on by default, or link it to the auto-update option for programs to in general.

This would help make it much more useful as a program which I install on the machines of relatives to keep them out of trouble. Right now I'm incredibly wary of putting a beta on their machine, especially as it may never update.

This user no longer exists RE: Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?
Member 9th May, 2012 13:43
Hi,

Presently, the PSI does not auto-update itself or offer updates for itself.

It may, at a later time, show you a pop-up and recommend you install an update, but since there have never been found any vulnerabilities in the PSI there are no patches for it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Quitch RE: Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?
Member 9th May, 2012 15:24
Score: 5
User Since: 17th Apr 2008
Sure, but should that day arrive, or should there be found flaws in the updating mechanisms patching other programs, won't that be a bit late to fix it? I think we know from Internet Explorer that people will generally ignore update prompts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?
Member 9th May, 2012 15:44
Hi,

In the unlikely event of a security update for the PSI or any Secunia product, we will of course use our own update mechanism to install the patch like we would any other.

However, this has never been a problem and most likely never will be.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bandolier1 RE: Will PSI 3 auto-update itself?
Member 13th May, 2012 14:00
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Sep 2010
Last edited on 13th May, 2012 14:01
"However, this has never been a problem and most likely never will be"

Hey be careful there! Do not get complacent, over confident or worse. That is how problems start. Great product - let's keep it that way.

IT manager with 25 years of experience of making and rectifying mistakes - mine and other peoples.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.