Forum Thread: Java, Secunia & Maurice

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
keith1937 Java, Secunia & Maurice
Member 14th Jun, 2012 13:15
Ranking: 12
User Since: 9th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
Tonight 14th June Secunia told me I had a concern with Java and no matter what I tried the concern would not go away.

Some time back I remember Maurice giving me some advice about programs like that.

I went in to Add & Remove and removed two Java programs

I knew what Java I had to install (thanks to Secunia) I found it via Google.

That program directed me to the correct download.

I "Ran" it followed all instructions, re started the computer gave it the OK.

Same thing when I turned on Internet Explorer.

I ran Update Checker all OK.

I ran Secunia all OK

Thank you Maurice for all your help in the past

Maurice Joyce RE: Java, Secunia & Maurice
Handling Contributor 14th Jun, 2012 17:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Pleased to see U are OK.

Oracle are very clear that only the current version should be installed by those requiring JAVA as follows:

Should I uninstall older versions of Java?

We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system.

This little snippet might also help regarding JAVA & other security issues.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/10/java-a-gift-to-...

Brian Krebs is well known in security circles. If U want keeping up to date particularly with regards to Adobe "freebies" (Flash - AIR - Shockwave - Reader for example), Microsoft or Oracle JAVA then U can sign up.

This is his submission for "Microsoft Patch Tuesday" for this month which I received before Microsoft released the updates.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/06/microsoft-patch...

They are all "easy reads" with comments sections if required.

If U read the articles U will note many hyperlinks which have helpful information & download links.

If interested U will see the RSS Feed button (top right) if U use feeds or can subscribe by email (right hand side - may need to scroll a bit).

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.