Forum Thread: Secunia PSI suddenly devalued

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MGatehouse Secunia PSI suddenly devalued
Member 23rd Jun, 2012 20:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
It's such a shame: Secunia PSI has been a wonderful, really useful program which allowed me with very little effort to keep all my software up-to-date. I have used it for almost 3 years. I've watched, with some concern, the feature-creep which afflicts so much good software. Now, with 'automatic updating' PSI has suddenly, over the last two months, become a recurrent source of frustration --to the point where I now find it almost unusable:

* the program works in the background, completes scans, etc. But when I attempt to view the scans, to identify problem software, 90% of the time the program hangs at 'Verifying internet connection' and I cannot view the scan results

* the SPS installation packages install at irregular and unpredictable times and frequently hang. I infinitely prefer an install process I can control at times that suit me.

* if I attempt to download and install updates from the software suppliers, it seems that they sometimes conflict with PSI's SPS downloads --at any rate I have noticed more failed update installations.

What gives? Why ruin a wonderful software program with bells and whistles which don't work?

This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI suddenly devalued
Member 23rd Jun, 2012 22:57
Same here. I would add that PSI allows apps to reboot without asking the user. I couldn't uninstall PSI fast enough.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
steffens RE: Secunia PSI suddenly devalued
Member 29th Jun, 2012 03:44
Score: 53
User Since: 25th Jul 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Jun, 2012 03:44
After PSI autoupdate trashed a couple of updates, making more work for me than if I had simply done a manual update myself, I turned off that feature permanently. And I stopped using PSI's updaters entirely when one of them gave me a UK version of Firefox instead of a US version.

You could try doing your updates the "old-fashioned way" too: Turn OFF autoupdates in PSI and get all your installers directly from the vendor's website. It's sometimes a royal pain, what with all the cruft some vendors insist on bundling into their "standard" installers (Adobe, Foxit... are you listening?), but other than that, this old-school technique has worked just fine for me.

HTH...
-- EstherD
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.