Forum Thread: First scan of PSI 3.0 runs and doesn't seem to end

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Krischu First scan of PSI 3.0 runs and doesn't seem to end
Member 29th Jun, 2012 15:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th Jul, 2010
System Score: N/A

Krischu RE: First scan of PSI 3.0 runs and doesn't seem to end
Member 29th Jun, 2012 15:56
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Jul 2010
It has ended! After 50 mins.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ps.securia RE: First scan of PSI 3.0 runs and doesn't seem to end
Member 29th Jun, 2012 16:19
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Nov 2011
There's nothing like a utility app, that on first launch goes off and does its own thing, with no indication to the users what its going to do or how.

Looking at the app acivity through Task Manager, I see that psia.exe, psi.exe, and psi_tray.exe are collectively using 75% of the CPU cycles and +160MB of memory. I can see that it's running, but there's no way to see that it's progressing.

The issue stems from the app being unable to estimate how long it will take to scan the selected drives and applications. If it were to do the scan in stages and/or provided more activity status information than a lame thermobar and "Processing", (like - gasp- a status bar listing each app/drive as it's processing it), it would be more user friendly.

Add that to the list of other blatant deficiencies, such as blind installation on the system (C:) drive, e.g. not automatically recognising multiple partitions drive for first scan, and a pathetic phone app-like GUI that only its coders (who apparently have never supported users of a Microsoft, Mac or Linux OS desktop) could think was good for computer near-illiteratti, which is apparently Securia PSI s primary target demographic.

The underlying technology seems to work OK for well-known programs that ALREADY HAVE built-in update alerting and/or automatic updating. It does a fair job of finding commercial apps that need a paid version upgrade to be more "secure". However, it missed several open applications on my system that I know need updates and ALL of the portable applications, including Firefox and Chrome, and mis-identified several utilities.
Too bad that there isn't a "wake up and smell the coffee" app for curing "I's teached me to how to code, now I's can architect softwares" syndrome.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.