Forum Thread: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
TeamViewer GmbH
And, this specific program:
TeamViewer 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
samuelk PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Member 27th Jul, 2012 15:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Jul, 2012
System Score: N/A
I am running PSI 3.0.0.2003 and have TeamViewer 6.0.13992 installed. Under "Programs That Need Updating", PSI has TeamViewer listed with a "Contact Support" link. When I click the link, it informs me that the update failed and that I need to contact TeamViewer support, but i already have the most recent version of TeamViewer 6 installed.

I suspect what might have happened (it was last week, so I don't recall for sure) is that I updated TeamViewer via it's own interface and then either while the update was in progress or else immediately thereafter, before PSI recognized the update, I clicked the update link in PSI as well.

Is there a way to reset this detection? I tried setting it to ignore TeamViewer, then re-enabling detection, but it immediately tried to download an update and returned to the same error state. Is there anything else I should try before uninstalling and reinstalling PSI?

Post "RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Handling Contributor 28th Jul, 2012 02:39
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I suspect this is happening because U do not have the latest secure version which is 7.0.13989.

It can be downloaded & installed from here:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

Once installed run a full PSI scan & U should be OK.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WOV748 RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Member 28th Jul, 2012 04:21
Score: 10
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
Last edited on 28th Jul, 2012 04:43
This reply is not correct. Teamviewer has several versions depending on the customer license (e.g. 5.x, 6.x, 7.x). Each has a "last secure build".

Till last week PSI considered the last secure build of 5.x or 6.x OK. Now all of a sudden it wants the user to update to V7.x., considering 5.x and 6.x "end of life". This is blatantly untrue:
- TV maintains secure builds of each
- A 5.x or 6.x licensee is not entitled to upgrade to 7.x.

The only workaround therefore is to "ignore" the program.

Please restore the right behaviour of PSI!!!

--
Willem Overbeeke
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Handling Contributor 28th Jul, 2012 09:53
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Willem,
Perhaps best U fully read the detail of the originators thread & my reply.

The originator gives no indication that he/she is using a licenced copy of this programme. All links on the Secunia Advisories point to the free version which is 7.

As an example version 6 (version 5 is the same)advisory is here:
https://secunia.com/advisories/product/33193/

The product link within that Advisory leads to here:

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Not knowing what type of programme the originator had installed U will note I used the words "I SUSPECT THIS IS HAPPENING rather than "THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE".

It is up to him/her to return to the Forum & clarify that a licenced copy is installed.

Clearly U have found an issue that affects supported licenced versions. The work around is never to advise users (particularly Beginner Class) to ignore it - that hides a possible notification of vulnerabilities in the future & defeats the object of PSI.

The positive step is for those with licenced copies to contact support at support@secunia.com & point out the differences which may well result in a programme suggestion request to cross check the meta data between each version for a better notification result.

It is doubtful Secunia will respond to your "Please restore the right behaviour of PSI!!!" without more detail which may well include the Product Link within the advisory which could be misleading to licenced users.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
samuelk RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Member 30th Jul, 2012 15:04
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Jul 2012
I am, in fact, using a licensed version of TeamViewer, thus cannot update to 7.x without spending an inordinate amount of money. But the licensing shouldn't be an issue because the most recent version of 6.x is just as current as the most recent version of 7.x and there are reasons not to upgrade to 7.x beyond simply licensing.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
WOV748 RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Member 30th Jul, 2012 15:10
Score: 10
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
To all,

In the mean time I contacted Secunia Support and they have fixed the issue.

All most current builds of TV (V5,6 and 7) are now marked "up to date". Simply rescan and you'll see!

--
Willem Overbeeke
Was this reply relevant?
+1
samuelk RE: PSI 3.0 Not Recognizing Updated TeamViewer
Member 30th Jul, 2012 15:51
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Jul 2012
It is, in fact, fixed. Thank you, WOV748, for contacting support and thanks to the Secunia support team for getting the issue resolved. It's nice to see the green icon back in my systray.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.