Forum Thread: Version 3.0 headaches

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
zborus Version 3.0 headaches
Member 11th Aug, 2012 19:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Aug, 2012
System Score: N/A
I have tried to go to Version 3.0 with no success -- tried all the fixes in the PSI Forum: starting sua.exe, checking Explorer, etc. I can easily connect to https://psi3.secunia.com/ What do you mean by "proxy support for PSI is currently unavailable"? I tried to go back to Version 2.0.3003, but now I get a message saying I need to 'purchase' a new license key. For free software?!! And -- your older versions are NO WHERE to be found on your corporate website. I would prefer the older version which lets ME decide how I want to configure updates. Can I get some help here?

davidbright1 RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Member 11th Aug, 2012 19:55
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Aug 2012
I understood that PSI 2 would remain in use for those of us who felt that there was too much automation in PSI 3. Today I find that my PSI 2 will not open, I reluctantly upgrade to PSI 3, and then find that the updated version refuses to open either. I think that this is a totally absurd situation and feel very let down. I strongly suspect that I am not alone.

If anybody thinks that this situation has been resolved, I would like to see some evidence!!

Come on, Secunia! Show that you are still with us!

David Bright
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tmcgee88 RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Member 11th Aug, 2012 20:54
User Since: 29th Jun 2012
I wasn't really wanting to 'reply' to a comment, but apparently the Secunia people can't do too much right these days... it was the only way I could see to leave a comment. I can't even see all of the comments here, because they are cut off to the right on this sorry ass web page and there's no scroll bar to move the field of view, lol. The 3.0 absolutely sucks... period. It won't load properly on boot over half the time... it shows a red icon in the task bar, but when I scroll over it with the mouse, it states that I have 100% system score. When I try to open it, it either does the "not responding" thing over and over, or it takes forever and then gives some BS error/connectivity message about proxy settings not being supported (I don't use a proxy). PSI's sorry ass functionality seems to sometimes infect Windows Explorer, and I occasionally get a temporary or permanent freeze of everything (have to restart the system) when the Secunia problems occur. I know it's free, but ffs... here these people have provided software that I've gotten used to using, and now they've become Microsoft-esque in joining the 'too dumb to understand the if it ain't broke don't fix it' club. If anybody here has an answer, great (you know, since there's no direct support available, lol)... but unless a solution to these functionality issues presents itself in this forum within the next few days (or Secunia updates/debugs PSI), I guess it's just time to uninstall this crap and leave it at that.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Websafe RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Member 11th Aug, 2012 21:25
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
Hello all,

Secunia's servers seems to have some troubles.
Since Secunia's PSI much rely on the servers for its correct functioning every version of PSI has (likely) been down.
At the moment my PSI 2.0.0.3003 runs well again.

@zborus: You can find the links to all the supported versions of PSI in the posts from Maurice Joyce, for example:
Link: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/130...

Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
galmok RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Member 11th Aug, 2012 21:38
User Since: 19th Jan 2012
Last edited on 11th Aug, 2012 21:50
on 11th Aug, 2012 19:55, davidbright1 wrote:
I understood that PSI 2 would remain in use for those of us who felt that there was too much automation in PSI 3. Today I find that my PSI 2 will not open, I reluctantly upgrade to PSI 3, and then find that the updated version refuses to open either. I think that this is a totally absurd situation and feel very let down. I strongly suspect that I am not alone.

If anybody thinks that this situation has been resolved, I would like to see some evidence!!

Come on, Secunia! Show that you are still with us!

David Bright

I too experienced this and acted the same way. Later, 3.0 did work and after a full system scan, it began updating and suddenly my pc rebooted and when it started again, I had no Java running on my system. My faith in PSI 3.0 is at an all time low after this experience.

First of all: PSI may NEVER automatically reboot my pc, EVER!

Second of all: If it does need to reboot my pc, it MUST write why so I can judge whether I will allow the reboot or not. Problem is: Java update isn't eve listed in the PSI History! Only TeamViewer (v6 and v7) are listed as having tried being updated (each one twice) just before the reboot.

Horrible, horrible experience.

Edit: It took like 25-30 minutes to get my pc upand running again because of this crap! It seems Java was updated, but as I had 32 and 64 bit installed, only 32 bit got updated, 64bit got uninstalled.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zborus RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Member 12th Aug, 2012 22:41
User Since: 11th Aug 2012
Thanks, Websafe, for the info. Went back to Version 2.0.0.3003. Server doesn't seem to be as flaky today. Secunia should take note of the user dissatisfaction with Version 3.0. Not having options for level of user control is not good.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Secunia Official 13th Aug, 2012 09:30
Last edited on 13th Aug, 2012 09:33
Leendert Kip Version 3.0 headaches
Contributor 13th Aug, 2012 09:39
Score: 137
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 13th Aug, 2012 09:41
You can prevent that your pc reboots automatically. I have setup that because one of my applications sometimes causes a reboot. Their support told me to do this. I guess the way how it's set depends on the Windows version you run. In case you run Windows 7 I can give you the info. Otherwise, maybe Maurice Joyce can explain this further.

--
PC: PWA Computers
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
Kingston DDR3 ValueRam 4GB 1333
Kingston SSD SV300S 240GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Google Chrome 66.0.3359.117

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Aug, 2012 22:51
on 13th Aug, 2012 09:30, wrote:

The PSI should never reboot your computer. In fact, it does not even have the functionality to do so. I suspect something else on your computer have caused the reboot.

I am pretty sure PSI does not have the reboot option anywhere, but what about the packages PSI installs automatically? Are they repackaged by Secunia so you have full control over them?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Aug, 2012 22:52
on 13th Aug, 2012 09:39, Leendert Kip wrote:
You can prevent that your pc reboots automatically. I have setup that because one of my applications sometimes causes a reboot. Their support told me to do this. I guess the way how it's set depends on the Windows version you run. In case you run Windows 7 I can give you the info. Otherwise, maybe Maurice Joyce can explain this further.

You can only prevent automatic reboot initiated by Windows Update. This is some of the first I disable on my windows installations. I simply CANNOT accept that windows reboots itself for any reason whatsoever.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Version 3.0 headaches
Secunia Official 14th Aug, 2012 09:26
Last edited on 14th Aug, 2012 09:31 @galmok
We cannot guarantee what the vendor installers will and will not do, nor do we alter the installers behaviour any further than what is described in the FAQ.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
You would be getting the same basic installer behaviour by downloading directly from the vendor website as opposed to updating via the PSI. So complaints about the behaviour of an installer should really be directed towards the vendor of the program you are trying to update.

This thread has been marked as locked.