Forum Thread: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP an...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
AnthonyM1229 I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 04:09
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
Earlier tonight, I ran Secunia PSI for the first time in about 10 days (I had been sticking with Version 2 since I was initially unimpressed with Version 3's simplified layout), and noticed the amount of scanned programs dropped significantly. It was because two of my three partitions I've always had set to scan, were not scanned.

Upon realizing that, I tried checking my settings to see if all 3 of my partitions are selected. Well, as it turns out, I couldn't even access that part of the settings. No interface to select my drives, would display. That made no sense at all. I figured Version 2 was slowly starting to become crippled or something, so, I downloaded the latest Version 3 from the Secunia website. (As a side note, I'm grateful there is now a detailed view setting in Version 3--I could swear it didn't exist when I tested an earlier release at least a month ago.)

Anyway...using Version 3 now, I tried to access the setting for individual drives. However, nothing happens. I click on the bottom menu option for it, and literally nothing happens. So, to rule out (mostly confidently, anyway) any issue on my Windows 7 install, I fired up my XP Mode virtual machine, and installed Secunia 3 there as well. There too, I am still not able to set scanning for individual drives. Secunia only scans my C: drive, which is a problem, because I have portable programs on other partitions. Is there any explanation or solution for this?

tomazyk RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 06:28
Score: 0
User Since: 22nd Mar 2009
I have the same problem on both v2 and v3. I think this is connected to problem, where no ignore rules can be added to your preferences. For me it all started after yesterday's Windows update. It looks like something got broken in all versions of PSI after last nights updates.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AnthonyM1229 RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 06:34
User Since: 8th Oct 2008
I doubt it's a Windows Update problem...I actually ran Secunia before applying the latest Patch Tuesday updates. I half-suspected Secunia failing to even touch my other partitions due to the Windows patches I was then missing. After installing the patches and rebooting, then re-running Secunia, however, the problem with not being able to scan or configure my individual drives, persisted.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pengwyn RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 06:40
Score: 5
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
I have similar problems.

Secunia PSI 2.0.0.4003 on XP SP3 (WU updated minutes ago)

1. Settings | Ignore Rules
Existing Data has been wiped clean, and new rules are both ignored and are not listed in the fields for Name, Path

2. Settings | Drives
Existing Data has been wiped clean, No Drive letters show at all, No Check boxes to Select Drives Shown.

3. Scan Results
It's now a who's who of missing Ignore Lists above.

4. Community Profile can't be recovered.

I too like you decided to try Secunia PSI 3

1. It made the computer unstable sucking 25% CPU.
2. Intermittent Freezing of the Entire Application, Refreshing the Screen doesn't help
3. Adding to Ignore List doesn't work. Programs remain listed.
4. Selecting Individual Drives doesn't work, there are NO DRIVES listed to select from

So I play with these PSI 2, install, uninstall, reboot, install
PSI 3 install, reboot, uninstall, reboot,
Then I decided to delete all the main Secunia Registry keys from HCLM and HKCU, I remove c:\Program Files\Secunia completely. Then I reinstalled PSI 2 to a modified path *\PSI2 instead of *\PSI Seems to load faster now that it's empty again, but BUMMER it still won't save ignore lists or show the drives.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world. But I can confirm something's up.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AnthonyM1229 RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 06:44
Well, at least I'm not the only one with this problem. It's looking like an issue on Secunia's end. Maybe it'll sort itself out soon.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pengwyn RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Member 15th Aug, 2012 06:55
I'll stick with 2.x for now at least it consistently scans without the intermittent freezing, the list and drive problem for the moment I can live with. It's just a list after all.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: I can't scan individual drives anymore (Secunia 2 and 3, on XP and 7)
Handling Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 11:36
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Secunia are now reporting that the Ignore Rule bug has been fixed. A rescan may be necessary.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 15th Aug, 2012 18:24
Thank you. I can confirm that Secunia PSI 2 and 3 are working correctly for me now. However, I have downgraded to Version 2 once again, because, while 3 has indeed gotten better (detailed view, for instance) since I last tested it, I do not like how it scans immediately on startup with no apparent way to adjust that, and how scans seem to take overall longer than they did on Version 2. 3 would consume CPU cycles for at least five minutes, whereas 2 would be done in no more than two minutes. Finally, I always prefer to handle updates manually, but even with automatic updates disabled in Version 3, I still saw it trying to download browser updates (I intentionally keep older browsers around for web dev testing.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Aug, 2012 23:35
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2012 23:36
My similar problems have gone away.

The following check's good on Secunia PSI 2.0.0.4003 on XP SP3

Settings | Ignore Rules
Settings | Drives

Like I said earlier, It's only a list.

However, what I do with the ignore list is use it to manually add programs to EMET, and also cut their net access. I am kind of glad it broke for a stretch, it was a nice sanity check having a score at 98. It doesn't hurt to re-visit stuff you hide from the scan occasionally.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.