Forum Thread: PSI not very good at detecting new versions

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Unhappybunny PSI not very good at detecting new versions
Member 15th Aug, 2012 20:55
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Aug, 2012
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI not detecting many of the updates available for the programs it detected on my system. I used to have a python program that scraped version numbers from websites that did a better job.

Here's a short list of what it failed to detect when I used it today (as I'm still not confident in it's abilities I've been running it alongside my own homebrew python script):

1. MPC-HC (Media Player Classic) - Secunia thinks my 1.6.2.4902 is up-to-date, whereas 1.6.3..5818 is available (released yesterday)

2. MediaCoder 0.8.13.5266 - missed update 0.8.14.5270 (released a week ago), and doesn't detect 0.8.14 build 5275 (released today)

3. Yahoo! Messenger (UK) 11.5.0.192, didn't detect that Yahoo! Messenger (UK) 11.5.0.228 is available.

4. Flash Player 11.3.300.268, didn't detect that it's vulnerable and new version 11.3.300.271 is available.

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI not very good at detecting new versions
Handling Contributor 15th Aug, 2012 21:46
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
It should certainly have picked up Flash after any scan as vulnerable.

It depends on the circumstances of the other programmes. Are the "old" versions insecure by means of an issued Secunia Advisory? If not then this applies:

This is an extract from the FAQ:

I know there is a newer version of a program available, but the PSI is not offering the update. Why not?

Vendors release new versions of a program for many reasons, and many newer releases don't contain security fixes. It is important to understand that the Secunia PSI is not a general update checker, but rather a security patch checker.

The implication of this is that whenever the Secunia PSI offers you an update, that update will fix a specific, known security vulnerability.

In these cases, Secunia recommend that you read the vendor release notes to determine if you prefer to install the update or not.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Unhappybunny RE: PSI not very good at detecting new versions
Member 15th Aug, 2012 22:32
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Aug 2012
Whoops, I didn't read the FAQ first !
The only security update I imagine would be Flash.

Many software companies downplay or don't mention security updates in their programs (if they fix it before anybody notices etc etc), so latest is always greatest for me - even if it risks new flaws (less hacker time).

Thank you for the prompt reply, glad to see a product team monitoring the forums :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.