Forum Thread: Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
progan01 Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working
Member 18th Aug, 2012 14:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th Oct, 2010
System Score: N/A
I received an alert last night that Adobe Shockwave needed to be manually updated. The location of the file needing updating is:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Swit.exe

Manual installation through PSI is stalled. I downloaded Shockwave from Adobe but this didn't cure the problem. This is the folder allowing 32-bit compatibility with my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OS. How do I get it to update? I presume it's a 32-bit version it wants.

Post "RE: Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working" has been selected as an answer.
daramer RE: Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working
Member 18th Aug, 2012 14:53
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Aug 2012
I'm having the same issue......
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working
Handling Contributor 18th Aug, 2012 17:46
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This should clear shockwave.

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.

1. Shockwave Uninstaller for your OS from the clearly marked link on this web page:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates...

2. The latest Shockwave from here:
http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

3.The programmes will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before activating the desktop downloads check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3

4. Now uninstall then install the latest version.

5. Complete a full PSI rescan.

Update 8 16:36 18/08/2012

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
progan01 RE: Manual update for Adobe Shockwave for WoWSys not working
Member 20th Aug, 2012 04:07
User Since: 25th Oct 2010
Maurice: Negative function. The Uninstaller worked fine on the extant Shockwave player but had no effect on the SysWoW64 32-bit. I can still launch 32-bit Diamond Mine Deluxe 1.84. Either there's a process using 32-bit Shockwave still running or, I'm thinking, this isn't the right uninstallation and reinstallation process. PSI still identifies the file needed manual update, and gives its version as 11.6.5.635.

Please advise.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Aug, 2012 10:19
Can U explain why U have mentioned Diamond Mine Deluxe 1.84.

It looks like Diamond Mine Deluxe 1.84 uses files from Shockwave & PSI may be giving U a false positive.

Is that programme showing as insecure?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Aug, 2012 07:18
Maurice;

I thought you knew. Diamond Mine 1.83sw (I gave the incorrect version earlier, sorry) is a 32-bit Shockwave game by Popcap Games, obsolete at least three years now. It runs on my 64-bit system only because a 32-bit version of Shockwave is in the System32 on System64 (SysWoW64) folder in the Windows folder on my C: drive. When I launch the game, instead of making a call to the 64-bit Shockwave player as some programs do, the game immediately redirects to the 32-bit Shockwave player in the SysWoW64 folder -- the one that PSI says needs to be manually updated.

Since this game launched immediately after running the Uninstaller as you had directed, I had to conclude, even before I checked to see if the SwInit.exe were still present, that the uninstall had not touched this version of the Shockwave player. And this is so; the Uninstaller did not remove the old SwInit.exe from the SysWoW64 folder.

What's bothering me now is that this version of SwInit.exe is dated 8 August 2012. So there is an update process of some sort working, whether through Microsoft's System Updates or some other means. But the procedure you provided did not work. Some other update process is required, obviously manual. I had hoped Secunia would have some insight into how this could be done.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 21st Aug, 2012 10:51
The fact that the file is in WOW (Windows on Windows) is irrelevant which I am fully aware of.

This is not a Secunia issue - they have found a file on your system that is vulnerable. You need to find the programme that is using that file which is clearly not the standalone Adobe Shockwave player.

It looks like U have answered your own problem.

That game appears to be using embedded elements of Shockwave.

Uninstall the game completely.

Uninstall Shockwave.

Run a full PSI scan which should solve the problem.

If not remove the offending file manually & run another scan.

Reinstall Shockwave if you still want it & run a PSI scan - all should be in order.

If U reload the game the problem should reappear. That clearly indicates that the game vendor needs to update his programme - given that you state it is obsolete that is not going to happen.

The choice then is to permanently remove the programme or create an ignore rule.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Aug, 2012 08:31
Maurice;

My problem is resolved. Here is how I did it.

After re-downloading and re-running the Adobe Shockwave Uninstaller, I checked inside the SysWoW64 folder to see if in fact the SwInit.exe had been removed. It had not. However, there was an Uninstall program there that I do not recall seeing before. There were only about a dozen objects in the Adobe/Shockwave folder in SysWoW64 to begin with, so I suspect the Uninstaller left this package behind at install, but did not execute it.

I executed it myself and saw the majority of files in the Shockwave folder, including SwInit.exe, disappear.

Diamond Mine sw1.83 continued to run, so I was not hopeful when I relaunched PSI and rescanned. In fact the scanner still reported the same result, requesting a manual update still, which it was unable to perform.

Nonetheless I went to Adobe and downloaded and installed the most current Shockwave player, rebooting and relaunching my browser (Firefox 14.0.1). I had to reinstall the Shockwave plugin but it ran normally.

The PSI scan I then ran showed no problems. My score was back to 100%.

There was no need to remove the Diamond Mine game, as it was only making calls to Shockwave when it was launched, the same as my browsers and my mail applications. Those only needed to be shut down, per the Adobe instructions, for the Uninstaller to work.

While I presume the separate Uninstaller for SysWoW64 was downloaded with the rest of the Uninstaller, the documentation does not so specify and I still do not know how that particular uninstaller came to be in that folder. Since this operation only happens on 64-bit versions of Windows 7, I presume this was handled in the background during Uninstaller downloading or operation, but I do not know.

In any case I was able to resolve my problem without uninstalling anything other than the 32-bit version of Shockwave in the SysWoW64 folder. I thought I should document the process so that you and others with Windows 7 64-bit operating systems can follow it and resolve their problems.

Hope I've been of help,

---->P!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 23rd Aug, 2012 09:46
Pleased to see U are finally all fixed up.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads U have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.