Forum Thread: PSI 3 hangs after scanning

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
xjklt PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 3rd Sep, 2012 21:58
Ranking: 4
User Since: 6th Mar, 2009
System Score: N/A
2 Issues with new PSI 3

1. PSI loads and scans and retrieves information. Screen shows all programs in list but all say " Staus............examining programme". PSI does not proceed further but hangs on this.

2. If I try to go to forum the error screen pops up saying "unable to locate appropriate web browser, followed by "would you like to use internet explorer?" IE 9, v9.0.8112.16421, update version 9.0.9. Using fully patched Windows Vista Home Premium. I have checked IE9 is default browser.

Thanks

This user no longer exists RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Secunia Official 4th Sep, 2012 10:40
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2012 10:53 Hi,

Have you tried the solution mentioned in the following entry in our FAQ:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
rbednar RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 4th Sep, 2012 16:42
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Experiencing same problem as user who began thread. My problem started after uninstalling version and 2 and upgrading to version 3. Running Win 7 (64-bit) Home Premium. After initial scan, program hangs in the screen reporting status of programs with hour-glass cursor and remark that system is examining program.

Directions offered in link did not solve my problem. I did notice, however, that in the "Services" section of "Administrative tools" that ""Secunia PSI Agent" is listed and set to automatic but there is no listing for "Secunia Update Agent.'

Uninstalling and reinstalling also did not help.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Long time Secunia user but frustrated with this apparent glitch in new version.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xjklt RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 4th Sep, 2012 19:41
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Yes same here. no listing. Secunia help didn't work for me either. Now gone back to PSI2 but having issues with it not finding browser. End result is it sorta works in that it will scan and inform. Such a pity after years of trouble free use of PSI products.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Sep, 2012 09:17
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2012 09:20
on 4th Sep, 2012 16:42, rbednar wrote:

I did notice, however, that in the "Services" section of "Administrative tools" that ""Secunia PSI Agent" is listed and set to automatic but there is no listing for "Secunia Update Agent.'

That, almost certainly, is the issue. All required services should be installed and set correctly during installation of the PSI, unless the installer is somehow restricted on the system. Please make sure that no other security programs are restricting the PSI while installing, and that you run the installer with full administrative privileges. Later changes on the system can of course also modify the settings of the services although it can be hard to track down further what causes it.

As for not being able to find a browser, please send us a software suggestion and make sure to include your email address so we can send you a reply:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

xjklt RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 5th Sep, 2012 10:23
Score: 4
User Since: 6th Mar 2009
Thanks for advice. I use Kaspersky Internet Security and I have suspicion that it might be causing my problems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Sep, 2012 10:28
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2012 10:34 Hi,

You'll need to add the link https://*.secunia.com/ in your Kaspersky trusted sites as well.
knahsjc RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 6th Sep, 2012 02:00
User Since: 5th Sep 2012
I have the same issues and the problem is not resolved. I added secunia to trusted sites - still hangs. I use McAfee

--
Frustrated Non-Techie
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rbednar RE: PSI 3 hangs after scanning
Member 6th Sep, 2012 05:17
User Since: 18th Dec 2008
Uninstalled, added Secunia as trusted site, turned off firewall and AV in Norton Security Suite, and then reinistalled with FULL administrative privledges.

No change. Contineus to hang after installation on examining program.

Any other suggestions?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 7th Sep, 2012 13:41
Thank you all for the information you have provided. We are currently looking further into the issues and I would like to ask those affected to do the following.

Please go to your PSI folder. Do you see a file called sua? (or sua.exe if your settings show the file extension)

You should also see a log file in the same folder called psialog (or psialog.txt). Please send that log file to support@secunia.com. That will help us troubleshoot the issue.
Secunia Official 16th May, 2013 11:53
This issue should now have been fixed in PSI version 3.0.0.7009.

Please let us know in this thread if any of you are still experiencing the issue after updating the PSI.

This thread has been marked as locked.