Forum Thread: Autoupdates fail

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
SweetSerendipity Autoupdates fail
Member 4th Sep, 2012 20:20
Ranking: 1
User Since: 4th Sep, 2012
System Score: N/A
I am using PSI on two personal computers and have the automatic updates set for Adobe products, OpenOffice, and Mozilla Thunderbird, but these programs fail to update automatically. Both computers are using Firefox 15.0 as the primary browser and have AVG free antivirus and Online Armor free firewall. It is my feeling that the firewall is preventing the Secunia automatic updates. Can anyone tell me where to look and what settings to change to enable automatic updating?

This user no longer exists RE: Autoupdates fail
Secunia Official 5th Sep, 2012 12:13
Do you have the issue on both computers and Online Armor installed on both computers?

Unless you have denied some permissions for a PSI process, Online Armor should not cause any issues for the PSI. You can of course check your granted permissions in the firewall rules in Online Armor. I happen to have experience with Online Armor myself so I can give you exact instructions if you need it.

With that said, would you mind trying these steps in the FAQ? Please pay particular attention to the last part about the "Secunia Update Agent" and "Secunia PSI Agent".
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
waddi RE: Autoupdates fail
Member 5th Sep, 2012 12:40
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Aug 2009
on 4th Sep, 2012 20:20, SweetSerendipity wrote:
I am using PSI on two personal computers and have the automatic updates set for Adobe products, OpenOffice, and Mozilla Thunderbird, but these programs fail to update automatically. Both computers are using Firefox 15.0 as the primary browser and have AVG free antivirus and Online Armor free firewall. It is my feeling that the firewall is preventing the Secunia automatic updates. Can anyone tell me where to look and what settings to change to enable automatic updating?

Same with me, the same programs show "Updating" but it just doesn't happen, although I have selected "Install updates automatically". I am using IE with the security settings "set to their recommended levels". I have updated most Adobe items manually, but I am stuck on Flash Player (NPAPI) which I don't understand.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Autoupdates fail
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2012 13:23
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This will clear Flash up for U:

UPDATING THE STANDALONE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.

IE & Other Browsers using ActiveX.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

& then here, if U have any other type of browser that does not have Flash embedded.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/curren...

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install Flash check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype

3. The new install will then remove all old files during the update process.

4. Complete a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

Optional - Go to Start>Control Panel>click the Flash Player (32 Bit) icon>check the settings are to your requirements.

Update 23 12:22 05/09/2012

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
SweetSerendipity RE: Autoupdates fail
Member 5th Sep, 2012 20:51
Score: 1
User Since: 4th Sep 2012
@E.Jeppesen--
I have Online Armor installed on both machines.

On one machine, I looked in Programs and found that all programs which had previously failed to update were marked as "Allowed" or "Trusted".

However, in the 7 day history, I found two instances of Program Guard blocking ShockwavePlayer_11.6.6.636_SPS.exe and one instance of Program Guard blocking Thunderbird_15.0_en-US_SPS.exe. The log shows that I changed permissions for Thunderbird to "Trusted" and "Allow" immediately after the block. Apparently, I wasn't around when the Shockwave blocks were generated.

I have found, with the various Adobe flashes, readers, and other products, I often get "update failed" messages in Secunia PSI and am, most often, updating manually. What seems to be happening is that OA is blocking newer versions of programs automatically because they are not in the OA database.

As a final note, I looked in the Online Armor Firewall/Programs tab-- everything is "Allowed" and all lines were green (except for one gray line, indicating a previously removed program).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Autoupdates fail
Secunia Official 6th Sep, 2012 10:01
@SweetSerendipity
Interesting details you have provided. As Online Armor blocks unknown programs by default it seems likely that our SPS packets required for automatic updates should make it react, just as you have concluded. I would certainly expect however that you would see a pop-up from Online Armor so you can allow the automatic update to continue. And although I have not tested it, I think the pop-ups stay on the screen until they have been answered. At least I have not myself noticed any time-out for pop-ups in Online Armor.

In any case, please let me know if I can provide you with any further assistance.
Member 6th Sep, 2012 13:28
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SweetSerendipity RE: Autoupdates fail
Member 6th Sep, 2012 14:05
Score: 1
User Since: 4th Sep 2012
Secunia behavior on my computer is similar to yours, @waddi, so I am thinking that Online Armor may not be the whole problem.

I have gone through several rounds of struggling to manually update programs. Some of the things that I have had to do are:
1) repeatedly download and execute installation package for the same Adobe product
2) remove an older program version using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel or by
deleting folders containing the program
In one recent instance, Adobe Flash installed a newer version without removing the older
version and I removed the folder because the program was no longer listed in Add/Remove
Programs
3) Remove Adobe products cited by PSI as insecure and let them reinstall as they are needed

All of these solutions are less than optimal, but, in the end, the job is done.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 7th Sep, 2012 13:21
Yes, it seems crude and simple measures are best. I have simply uninstalled or deleted every program that Secunia can't handle. If that leads to problems, they haven't arrived yet. But maybe Secunia is missing something.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.