Forum Thread: Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life w...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Reader X 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
warrenhottie1 Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life warning I need hidden
Member 20th Sep, 2012 21:24
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th Sep, 2012
System Score: N/A
I keep updating Adobe Reader to version 10.1.4 and done it a number of times now using Version of PSI 2.0 because I hate the 3.0 interface. But it doesn't recognize the update and keeps reading it as version 10.1.3.23? How do I fix this?

I also want to hide an end of life program because it is something I still use because it was installed as part of the computer. And if I tried to update it, it would cost me $49.95 as Cyberlink PowerDirector 5. And only one part of the suite is end of life so how do I get rid of the warning

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life warning I need hidden
Handling Contributor 20th Sep, 2012 22:44
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What path does PSI give you for Adobe Reader?

FINDING A FILE PATH USING PSI VERSION 2

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & U will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

Cyberlinks

Not really very wise to hide a potential vulnerability. This SA refers:
https://secunia.com/advisories/41142/

You should really check with the vendor whether version 5 suffers from this vulnerability (you will note it states other versions could be affected) which they will not fix because it is End of Life.

If you want to run a risk & just hide it rather than uninstall it or pay for the secure upgrade follow these steps.

PROGRAMME EXCLUSION RULE

Open PSI>Scan results>expand the programme by clicking the "+" to the left of the programme entry.

This will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES and below it two Yellow Folders. Click the folder with the RED dot which will create an Ignore Rule for that item.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
warrenhottie1 RE: Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life warning I need hidden
Member 20th Sep, 2012 23:08
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Sep 2012
I don't understand your question about Adobe Reader because I know exactly what you stated and do that continually for other instances. I'm not stupid & I STATED THE FILE PATH GIVES THE VERSION OF 10.1.3.23 after many updates using the Secunia Install solution & doing it on my own from Adobe.com. So where is the solution you give to my problem as I do NOT see one.

And the Cyberlink I explained that I don't want to pay $49.95 or more for the updated version. Perhaps you should read my questions again because your reply was actually no help at all but thanks for trying.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
warrenhottie1 RE: Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life warning I need hidden
Member 20th Sep, 2012 23:09
Score: 0
User Since: 20th Sep 2012
Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe, version 10.1.3.23
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Reader update to 10.1.4 not recognized , also End of life warning I need hidden
Handling Contributor 20th Sep, 2012 23:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Now you have finally found out you DID NOT give the file path I will leave you to work out what to do with that rogue file now you have found it.

Read my reply properly.

1. You can ignore it & I told you how.

2. You can uninstall it.

3. You can pay for the upgrade.

I will unsubscribe & let you get on with it.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+5

This thread has been marked as locked.