Forum Thread: Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Niche

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Removal Tool: Blaster/Nachi

This thread has been marked as resolved.
gilgamesh1 Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Niche
Member 7th Oct, 2012 20:51
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Oct, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hello, I'm running XP, SP3, PSI version 3.0.0.4001. PSI shows Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Nichi (installed version 5.1.2600.5512) needs manual update. I've followed the prompts a number of times to manually update with no success. I then tried to delete the file: PSI's path to the file does not exist. I've used Microsoft's complete scan for malware as well as malwarebytes--they both came up clean as well as my AVG 2012. Can anyone help me get rid of it so I can get back to a 100% PSI rating? Thank you. JAV

--
JAV

Post "RE: Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Niche" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Niche
Handling Contributor 7th Oct, 2012 23:07
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This thread should help you.

https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/13...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
gilgamesh1 RE: Microsoft Removal Tool:Blaster/Niche
Member 8th Oct, 2012 04:33
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Oct 2012
Thanks Maurice,

I simply used the PSI "Ignore Rule" option as per the thread you pointed out because: (1) I'm tired or running scans from Microsoft, CNET, AVG, Malwarebytes, etc.--they all come up 100% clean so I'm convinced there's no malware (worm) on my computer (it runs perfectly) and (2) I've tried numerous methods to find the file to delete it because it's end of life, as referenced by the PSI message--the PSI path doesn't exist and I can't find the file anywhere. I think this is a PSI false positive--it's happened before, but not often. When I implemented the "ignore rule" PSI went immediately to 100% green. As a cautionary note to others: before using the "ignore rule" make SURE your computer scans clean with the most current software AND you are SURE the file is end of life and you can't find it to delete it--which would be my first option...I've done it before with PSI as I understand they recommend doing so with end of life files.

Many thanks,

JAV

--
JAV
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.