Forum Thread: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
SteveSecunia12 How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version.
Member 12th Oct, 2012 21:52
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Oct, 2012
System Score: N/A
Hi,
I'd like to know if there's a way to keep secunia psi 2.0.0.3003 from automatically updateing itself to the latest version 3.0.

Secunia PSI 3.0 doesn't work 100% on my 3 pc's.
2 pc's are running xp sp3 home addition 32-bit, the other is running vista home basic 32-bit.

I 'm thinking if I change the settings from auto updates this might solve that problem.

Does anybody else know other ways to stop this problem?

Post "RE: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version. " has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version.
Handling Contributor 12th Oct, 2012 22:25
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
There is no problem - PSI will not auto update itself even if you have auto updater switched on UNLESS the version you have installed becomes vulnerable (highly unlikely)

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
SteveSecunia12 RE: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version.
Member 13th Oct, 2012 07:18
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Oct 2012
Last edited on 13th Oct, 2012 07:24
Hi Maurice,
Then I guess my version became vulnerable. I was having no issues for a long time with the version stated. Then one day when I got on my pc and opened secunia. I noticed the program had been automatically updated to 3.0. Asking me to run a scan of my pc. Last Scan. Never. (That message showed on xp sp3 and vista sp2).

Then I noticed on my xp pc's my log in user name wasn't showing where it should. So I tried to recover my existing user name. 3.0 wouldn't except it. (I got a message telling me that my user name and email address or password I use didn't match the one on file). I've used the same one for years with no issues until now with 3.0 installed.

After running another scan 3.0 wouldn't detect that adobe flash active x control had been updated on 1 of my xp pc's. It showed click to update. so I ran the update. 3.0 didn't detect adobe as updated. So I ran a manual update from adobe just to be sure it was updated.
After another scan on that xp pc. 3.0 still didn't detect it as updated.

On the other xp sp3 pc. 3.0 didn't detect that adobe active x was installed on it. (So I tried the add program feature to no avail).

The fix for these problems for me was to uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.0.0.3003.
That version of the program works like it should on my home network of 3 pc's.
I do not want 3.0 until it works 100% This is the first time I've had any issues with secunia.
I'm very familiar with the program and how it works. I've been using it since it first came out.

That's why I was asking If there was a way to keep the program from auto updating itself.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version.
Handling Contributor 13th Oct, 2012 10:01
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Then I would suggest you are the first to find a serious flaw with PSI.

I run versions 1.5.02 - 2.0.0.4003 & 3.0.0.4001 on test PC's & load 2.0.0.3003 once a month on my main PC to check if "things are in order".

These versions have never been vulnerable & no attempt has ever been made by Secunia to auto update them in my test environment.

Indeed that behaviour contradicts their Modus Operandi.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

I would send your detailed findings to Secunia Support at support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
SteveSecunia12 RE: How do I keep Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003) from auto updateing to 3.0 version.
Member 13th Oct, 2012 16:02
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Oct 2012
Last edited on 13th Oct, 2012 16:15
Hi Maurice,
Your right and I'm wrong. My apologies to you in regards to Secunia 3.0 auto updating.
So if you could delete this post,subject, and close this thread. Since I don't know how.
I would appreciate that.

In an email from secunia I recieved back in june. (Forgot that I had it).
It clearly states that 3.0 is available for download if you want to try it.

Dear PSI user,

We just wanted to let you know that Secunia has released the final version
of Secunia PSI 3.0, featuring a new and simplified interface, more
automated updates, multiple languages (English, German, Spanish, French
and Danish), as well as a lot of other improvements that we hope you will
like.

You can download the new version here (it is of course still available for
free):
We hope you will like the new version.

Stay Secure,

Secunia

Best Regards