Forum Thread: Program keeps Running In Background

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
wonkabear2 Program keeps Running In Background
Member 17th Oct, 2012 15:55
Ranking: 11
User Since: 25th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
When I installed PSI Version 3 (updated to latest) I noticed that it was set to automatically start on system boot.

Since I did not want this, I went to services in Windows 7 and set Secunia PSI Agent "Start Up Type " to "Manual".

I also did this for Secunia Update Agent.

I also disabled the PSI Tray Icon program - PSI_tray.exe.

When I want to see if any of my programs are out of date, I then click the PSI desktop icon to start the program.

It will say "loading" and either produce a screen telling me all my programs are up-to-date or show the program listing with any programs that need updating.

After reviewing the listing, if need be, I then do manual updating using each programs update feature instead of using the PSI update feature.

I then run a rescan of my system to insure that things are up to date according to the Secunia database.

I then "X" out of PSI and thought that the program would shut down.

I checked my "Task Manager" and found that the program does not shut down, but stays active in the background as does the PSI tray icon.

Since some users probably don't want PSI to start automatically and stay active all the time, is there a way to shut the program down other than using the task manager to "kill" the program.

With both the tray icon and the agent running I first right click on the tray icon to close it out and then use my task manager to "kill" the agent program.

Thanks for any help or suggestions and now......have a great day.

Bill in NC

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!

Post "RE: Program keeps Running In Background" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Program keeps Running In Background
Handling Contributor 17th Oct, 2012 16:24
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I will do some tests - but in the meantime set the Services start to Disabled - does that fix it?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: Program keeps Running In Background
Member 17th Oct, 2012 17:04
Score: 11
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Maurice,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did as you suggested and set both services to "disabled".

I then checked to make sure neither of them was running.

I then started the PSI program. It came up as usual and also the tray icon appeared.

I then "X'd" out of the program and checked my task manager. The program had quit and was not running in the background.

However, the tray icon stayed active and you have to right click on it and close it separately.

No big deal I suppose as it takes up very little memory and does nothing expect allow you to restart the PSI Agent.

Thanks for the help....you're the best.

Have a great day and see ya round the forums.

Bill

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Program keeps Running In Background
Handling Contributor 17th Oct, 2012 17:34
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Bill,
Pleased to see it works a bit more to your liking.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from "tag on" posts

You can of course lock threads U have created. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.