Forum Thread: two instances of java detected by PSI when only one exists.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.7.x / 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
xteri two instances of java detected by PSI when only one exists.
Member 18th Oct, 2012 03:24
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Oct, 2012
System Score: N/A
After updating Java from vers 7 update 7 to vers 7 update 9 PSI detects 2 instances of java.exe, one at C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin and the other instance at C:\Progra~1\Java\jre7\bin. Of course, this is the same location....confirmed by R clicking & selecting open folder.

Another strange thing I noticed was that the first time I looked it was detecting two different versions (the new & the old) and calling one a "zombie installation"

Just checked a second machine (both machines WinXP Pro, btw) and was able to copy the screens:

Detected Instances:
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe, version 7.0.90.5
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe, version 7.0.70.10

You can double click this row for additional information and options.
(did that):
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe 7.0.70.10 Patched Very limited Zombie Installation 1350080092
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe 7.0.90.5 Patched - Actual Installation

Asking PSI to re-scan the program results in the 'Zombie installation disappearing:

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe 7.0.90.5 Patched - Actual Installation 1350522748
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe 7.0.90.5 Patched - Actual Installation

Incidentally the 10 digit number is invisible when I copy but it appears when i paste here, decided to leave it in case anyone finds it of use.

So, can anyone tell me why PSI is detecting two java's?

This user no longer exists RE: two instances of java detected by PSI when only one exists.
Secunia Official 18th Oct, 2012 13:24
Which version of the PSI do you use? If you are using PSI 2.x have you performed a full system scan? Or have you double clicked the Java entry and only scanned that specific program?

In case you have not done so already, please do a full system scan and let us know if that brings your Secunia System Score back to 100%.
xteri RE: two instances of java detected by PSI when only one exists.
Member 19th Oct, 2012 01:52
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Oct 2012
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Oct, 2012 01:58
Yes, I am using PSI 2.0.0.4003 Doing a full scan does correct the problem, you were right I was just scanning the program.

And, sorry I wasn't clear, the security score was 100% before the full scan as well as after.

Thank you for help & quick response. I am grateful to all the people like yourself who are generous with their time & help. (I notice a "Maurice Joyce" who also fits this description.)

One other anomaly - and this does not concern PSI - this java update removed the "Java" icon in the control panel - this happened on all four WinXP Pro machines (2 Dells, 2 IBMs) that were updated to Java 7.090.5. I was wondering if anybody else had this experience?

If yes, please join this discussion:
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/10/critical-java-p...

(btw a work around is to use a Shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.cpl")

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.