Forum Thread: psi scanning wrong drive in dual boot

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
astro46 psi scanning wrong drive in dual boot
Member 23rd Oct, 2012 00:24
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd Oct, 2012
System Score: N/A
i have dual boot, xp and win7-64bit. i have PSI 3.0 installed on win7. first time scan. from win7. it is scanning both op sys. telling me that avast 5. 0 is up to date, when the win7 avast is 7.0, scanning programs that i don't have installed on win7. scanning both office 2007 and 2010 when ofc 2007 is not installed on win7, etc, etc.

the only drive checked to scan is c:. is there another setting that needs to be changed?

--
astro46

astro46 RE: psi scanning wrong drive in dual boot
Member 23rd Oct, 2012 01:46
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Oct 2012
Last edited on 23rd Oct, 2012 06:32
i shut down the secunia agent,and changed it to manual, since i don't want secunia loading at boot., shut down secunia, opened it. it scanned and this time, didn't give me the office programs, and other stuff from the xp partition.

it also told me that firefox 14 needs updating. i am running ff16. in details it took me to a firefox folder in c:\user\local. apparently it was left over from a older install, as there is another firefox folder with newer files. i moved the older ff folder to the d: drive. scanned again. secunia again told me that firefox 14 needs updating. details revealed that it found it on the d: drive, even though it shouldn't have scanned d: drive.

closer but still not 100%

--
astro46
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: psi scanning wrong drive in dual boot
Handling Contributor 23rd Oct, 2012 10:14
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You can have slightly more control with your PC if you use another version of PSI.

If you wish to consider this use the link below my Signature Block for more information.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 23rd Oct, 2012 17:21
not clear to me how this is an issue of more control over my pc, vs secunia not acting as it should. if i don't have d: checked , it shouldn't be scanning d: why will using an earlier version matter? (i assume this is what your are alluding to. your post and the page you sent me to isn't clear)

--
astro46
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SteveSecunia14 RE: psi scanning wrong drive in dual boot
Member 24th Oct, 2012 01:32
Score: 4
User Since: 10th Oct 2012
Last edited on 24th Oct, 2012 01:38
@astro48
You have the first part answer.
I shut down the secunia agent,and changed it to manual, since i don't want secunia loading at boot.,

it also told me that firefox 14 needs updating. i am running ff16. in details it took me to a firefox folder in c:\user\local. apparently it was left over from a older install, as there is another firefox folder with newer files. i moved the older ff folder to the d: drive.

2nd part of your answer is to delete the older firefox files instead of moving them to the d partition.

I had the same issue with secunia still detecting IE6 after I upgraded to IE8. Deleting the old IE6 files worked for me. and It should work for you.
Regards,
Steve
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Oct, 2012 02:47
a short time ago, based on maurice's suggestion, i tried psi 2. i found tiat it did not show ff14 on d: . in addition i noticed an entry in options having something to do with following files when moved. this lead me to wonder if the problem was that psi3 was finding ff14 on d: because it knew that i moved the folder from c: .
i reinstalled psi3 . i didn't see the mentioned option in psi3, i did stop psi tray and agent, moved the ff14 folder to g:, restarted psi3 and rescanned. this time it found a ff14 on c: drive. i followed the path indicated in details and found the renamed folder containing ff14 that i had moved to d: i was sure i had deleted the folder after moving it to d: , but apparently i had not. so i deleted it from c: (still exists on g:) and rescanned again. this time no ff14 was shown.

i can only assume that the d: version of ff14 was shown because psi3 tracked moving the folder (i moved rather than deleted since i wanted to be certain that this was not a folder that was needed), and, also, that i had not deleted the folder on c: after moving.

i knew that psi tracks file movement, this issue would not have come up. not knowing that, and believing that psi wouldn't scan a drive that wasn't checked, led to the confusion.

--
astro46
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.