Forum Thread: Updating hangs with some apps

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
genegold99 Updating hangs with some apps
Member 31st Oct, 2012 06:24
Ranking: 5
User Since: 25th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 31st Oct, 2012 06:24

I've noticed with v.3 that after clicking on update, PSI says its updating but the process goes on indefinitely without resolution with some apps. An example just now was Adobe Shockwave Player (Win 7). In each of these cases, I eventually do the update manually. I'm guessing that's not what is supposed to happen.

This user no longer exists RE: Updating hangs with some apps
Secunia Official 1st Nov, 2012 09:31
It sounds like you have files from an old version of Adobe Shockwave Player left on your computer. Have you examined if that is the case? If not, this FAQ entry should help.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
genegold99 RE: Updating hangs with some apps
Member 2nd Nov, 2012 23:35
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
If multiple copies were only the problem... I reported multiple occurrences of hanging on my desktop. Last night on my laptop, I tried updating Java JRE and Adobe Air from withing PSI. The first ran an hour before I did manually; the latter I let run for three hours. There was only one instance of Adobe Air.dll on the computer (I didn't check for Java, but don't see why it would be different - there's no backup drive).

One computer can happen, but two is a habit. It looks to me like there's a bug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Updating hangs with some apps
Secunia Official 5th Nov, 2012 13:59
Last edited on 5th Nov, 2012 14:00 Java and Adobe Air are also known for leaving files behind from the previous installation. You will be able to see if that is the case by following the link I gave you.

Please also see this FAQ entry.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...
genegold99 RE: Updating hangs with some apps
Member 5th Nov, 2012 16:44
Score: 5
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
I've been using PSI for a long time and thus am very familiar with the point you're making. It's not at all apparent how it's relevant here. When what the FAQ describes would happen in the past (v2 and earlier), PSI would finish and say there's still a problem, and then the user would have to go hunting. But v3 is hanging. Moreover, it's hanging when there is *only one* copy of the file at issue on the computer - verified by both a visual and a file manager search in the case of Abobe Air's dll.

Even if your point is/was correct in this case, if PSI hangs, it's not behaving properly. Period.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.