Forum Thread: Unusual Secunia PSI "polymorphic virus" alert

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe53 Unusual Secunia PSI "polymorphic virus" alert
Member 13th Nov, 2012 16:01
Ranking: 4
User Since: 19th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
I had an alert pop up in my lower right screen on my Win7 Pro netbook today at about 05:30:
Something to do about Secunia PSI scan detecting (or being detected as) a polymorhic virus on this system (no details, and the alert did not last long enough for me to do a sceen capture).

The thing is, I had no PSI scan scheduled to run today, and in any event was not even aware PSI had the ability to detect viruses. I have not even used this netbook in many days, and keep all Windows and third party programs well patched. This is a well-protected system that has never been compromized.

I immediately ran all my real-time security scans (MBAM Pro, MSE), HitmanPro, and PSI 2) which all scanned clean. My system continues to work normally, so this is obviously a false positive.To be honest, from my brief reading of the alert, I'm not even sure whether PSI or another of my security programs generated this alert.

I post FYI only. And also because I have no idea whence this alert came from.

This user no longer exists RE: Unusual Secunia PSI "polymorphic virus" alert
Secunia Official 14th Nov, 2012 10:49
Last edited on 14th Nov, 2012 10:50 The PSI does not try to detect malware of any kind so the pop-up you got must have come from some other program on your computer. Perhaps that program has a log of events where you can see what has been detected. If you believe the detection is a false positive then you can upload the detected file to a service such as www.virustotal.com to get it thoroughly scanned.

This thread has been marked as locked.