Forum Thread: PSI confused about programs installed and their version

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
aardvark73 PSI confused about programs installed and their version
Member 18th Nov, 2012 05:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Nov, 2012
System Score: N/A
I have found Secunia PSI to be a very useful application for myself and my friends. I would like to help you make this program even more robust.

What I have observed is that if a program is updated or removed outside of Secunia PSI, Secunia PSI has difficulty seeing that the program has been updated or removed.

I installed Mozilla Firefox on a PC running Windows XP SP3. I ran Secunia PSI after I had install Mozilla Firefox. Secunia PSI told me that all applications were up-to-date. The program "Mozilla Maintenance Service" was in the list of programs Secunia PSI would update. I then removed the program "Mozilla Maintenance Service" because it is not needed on a PC running Windows XP. I rebooted the computer, launched Secunia PSI, and the program "Mozilla Maintenance Service" was in the list of applications to get updates for.

Secunia PSI was having a problem updating Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla Firefox was at version 14. I exited out of Secunia PSI program, the Secunia PSI program in the system tray and stopped the Secunia PSI Agent service. I updated Mozilla Firefox to version 16 from within Mozilla Firefox. I then rebooted the computer and launched Secunia PSI. Secunia PSI reported that Mozilla Firefox was at version 14, and Mozilla Firefox reported that it was at version 16. Only the complete removal of Mozilla Firefox, reboot of the PC, launch Secunia PSI, install Mozilla Firefox, and then perform a rescan in Secunia PSI did Secunia PSI report the correct version of Mozilla Firefox.

I am running version 3.0.0.4001 of Secunia PSI.

This user no longer exists RE: PSI confused about programs installed and their version
Secunia Official 19th Nov, 2012 12:03
I am not aware of the exact detection problem that you describe. Did you remember to scan with the PSI so that it could update its scan results?
chrisg61 RE: PSI confused about programs installed and their version
Member 20th Nov, 2012 00:09
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Nov 2012
I have what seems to be a similar problem with Adobe Flash Player 11.x. I've just installed FP 11.5.502.110, but PSI seems to have kept a record of a previous version - it shows that the installed version is 11.4.402.287, and keeps on trying to automatically update it. A PC scan utlity PC utility ('Everything') shows that there are no remaining 11.4.xx files anywhere on my PC, so the Adobe install is clean. I've rescanned PSI a number of times, but it still finds the old Flash version and tries to update it - even though I've now turned auto update off. Appreciate any help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI confused about programs installed and their version
Handling Contributor 20th Nov, 2012 00:17
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Open PSI>once open select Show Programs.
U will now see a page full of programme icons or a list.
Right click on the programme in error>select Show Details - that will open a box showing the path & version number of the offending file.
U now have 2 options:
1. Write down the exact file path & install version - return to the Forum & type that information.
2. Take a screen shot & publish that.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Nov, 2012 01:29
Thanks Maurice - I've done as you suggested.

In the 'List of installed versions' box, PSI shows C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash32_11_4_40 2_287.ocx

When I double-click on that File location, the only ocx file listed is Flash32_11_5_502_110.ocx.

This is the only file on my PC with a filename commencing Flash32

Regards,
Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Nov, 2012 01:36
Chris,
The files in that folder for IE should be like this:

https://akkkug.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pw72PanVFDk...

If that is the case try another full PSI rescan - it should then clear down.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Nov, 2012 02:34
Maurice, thank you - that did the trick! Not clear why this re-scan worked when earlier attempts didn't - but nevertheless pleased to have a 'clean' scan again.
Regards,
Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Nov, 2012 02:36
Chris,
Pleased to see you are all fixed up.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
aardvark73 RE: PSI confused about programs installed and their version
Member 20th Nov, 2012 04:44
User Since: 18th Nov 2012
In both cases, the first thing I tried was to press the "Scan Again" button. PSI rescanned my PC and reported the same incorrect result in both cases.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2012 04:50
I suspect that PSI is maintaining a list of the applications that it thinks are installed on a PC. I have not found where PSI is storing it's data but I am still looking.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2012 05:02
That answered one of my questions. The Mozilla Maintenance Service program appears in three places. There was one copy listed under the Mozilla Maintenance Service and there was a copy of the program in the Mozilla Firefox folder and Mozilla Thunderbird folder. Thanks for the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.