Forum Thread: Programs once ignored are now not ignored

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Terradon Programs once ignored are now not ignored
Member 13th Dec, 2012 22:34
Ranking: 9
User Since: 24th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
On my most recent scan (12/13/2012) 3 programs that I had ignored showed once again in the programs being updated. In 2 cases, they autoupdated before I could stop it. Both are programs used by another that will not function with anything newer than the version I had ignored. I'm not a happy camper!

--
Don
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Intel Core 2Quad 8GB RAM 1000mb lan to cable

This user no longer exists RE: Programs once ignored are now not ignored
Secunia Official 17th Dec, 2012 12:38
Are you saying that programs you have previously ignored in the PSI are suddenly showing up in the scan results again? I am not sure we have had this exact issue reported previously. Can I ask which version of the PSI you are using? Which programs did you ignore in the PSI?
Terradon RE: Programs once ignored are now not ignored
Member 17th Dec, 2012 17:01
Score: 9
User Since: 24th Sep 2009
Sorry for the delay. It took a while to realize that I needed to rt click on the Secunia PSI icon in the list of programs to look at the properties to find the version I'm running. Talk about GUI confusion! It looks like the installed version is 3.0.0.204. Previously, in a version 3 build, I had ignored DreamWeaver CS4 10.0.0.4117 (the only update is a version update), Apache 2.2.21 (part of an XAMPP local test server), and Oracle VirturalBox 4.1.12.0 ( the latest version of of VB that can be used by Shadow Protect to test the integrity of a C: drive image). The DreamWeaver update required a visit to Adobe's website, annoying, but not catastrophic. Apache and VirtualBox were just starting the process of autoupdating & I was able to toggle them to ignored before the update downlods had completed.

--
Don
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: Programs once ignored are now not ignored
Member 17th Dec, 2012 19:01
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
I too have experienced the same problem, also the opposite in that I have had programs which have been added automatically to the ignore list by psi & I didn't want them ignored, I chose 'do not ignore' but next scan they were back, it took several 'do not ignore' selections & rescans for the specific program to remain 'active'.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 18th Dec, 2012 09:55
Member 18th Dec, 2012 17:45
It really DOESN'T explain anything. When I originally ignored those programs, they had not started to download an update, they were displaying that I needed to go to their website to download the update.

They stayed ignored throughout most of 2012 and then suddenly they were un-ignored. I quickely ignored them once again.

I do not load PSI at startup, rather I run it on demand, once or twice a week to eliminate the extreme slowdown at startup.

--
Don
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 19th Dec, 2012 09:41
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2012 10:46 I am wondering if perhaps some new instance of your ignored programs was detected, either due to local changes or caused by changes to our detection rules. It would be great if you would check if the programs you have ignored are showing up as ignored only once, or multiple times.

It surprises me that you experience a significant slowdown at startup caused by the PSI. I have had the PSI installed on many different systems with different security setups and have never noticed that issue. But when only you remember to manually start and scan with the PSI, then your approach should be fine.
Doctor9fan RE: Programs once ignored are now not ignored
Member 19th Dec, 2012 10:59
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
I too have experienced slowdown on startup due to PSI 3.x, I was even warned by the computer that Windows was taking 45 seconds longer to load due to PSI & recommended disabling it at startup.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Dec, 2012 15:44
There is still only one instance of the 3 programs. None have been updated or reinstalled since they were last ignored.

I run with a standard user account, so there is always the need to provide administrator credentials for PSI to run. I run Eset Smart Security which just asked if it was ok to have the PSI tray module run, It starts and runs a quick scan at startup. I feel that it is more important to run ESS at startup than PSI. I wouldn't mind if PSI launched at startup, but didn't scan until the system was not busy. That would maximize the protection without a performance penalty.

--
Don
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.