Forum Thread: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Oldwisewiz The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Member 17th Dec, 2012 16:05
Ranking: 2
User Since: 16th Dec, 2012
System Score: N/A
When I run PSI and the scan completes (and all 84 programs are up-to-date), I close the program window and exit the tray icon, but when I check Task Manager, I find that psia.exe is still running.

I have Services set with the psia service disabled and the sua service manual, and neither setting appears to affect the running of the program, but launching the program launches psia.exe, and it doesn't stop running when the program is closed. I can stop the psia.exe process in Task Manager, but I'm wondering why psi.exe doesn't shut down psia.exe when it exits.

(I have PSI set not to load at boot, because it slows the boot process dramatically.)

--
Wisewiz
To those who know nothing about computing, those with even a little knowledge seem like wizards.

This user no longer exists RE: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Secunia Official 18th Dec, 2012 15:41
Which version of the PSI are you using?

I have found that with PSI 2 set to not start on boot, no PSI process will be running in the background. And when the PSI has been running and is shut down, all processes closes.

As for PSI 3 I have contacted our developers and asked for a comment. I will let you know if they have any information to share. Please understand that they are quite busy so I cannot guarantee a reply.
Oldwisewiz RE: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Member 18th Dec, 2012 16:02
Score: 2
User Since: 16th Dec 2012
I'm using 3.0.0.6001.

Thanks for looking into this. I'm a very patient old man, so you don't need to give me any guarantees of speedy replies.

I just thought that the writers probably didn't intend to have psia.exe running after the program executable (psi.exe) is closed, so I thought it was worth calling to somebody's attention.

Thanks again.

Oldwisewiz

--
Wisewiz
To those who know nothing about computing, those with even a little knowledge seem like wizards.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wonkabear2 RE: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Member 18th Dec, 2012 23:00
Score: 11
User Since: 25th Nov 2008
Dear OldWiseWiz,

I too had this problem. Here is the link to the thread where I sorta figured out how to avoid version 3 of PSI running in the background once you get out of the program.

I eventually got tired of closing out the icon separately and went back to version 2.

Hope this helps.

Bill

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/133...

--
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Handling Contributor 19th Dec, 2012 01:19
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2012 01:21
I can confirm that PSIA continues to run after the programme & Tasktray icon are closed.

https://akkkug.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pJMNW1ByhO4...

EDIT:
I am using version 3 previewing xSI.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Oldwisewiz RE: The psia.exe file continues to run after I close the program.
Member 19th Dec, 2012 02:39
Score: 2
User Since: 16th Dec 2012
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2012 02:41
Thanks, Maurice and Wonka!

Until there's a fix, I have the icon nuisance that Wonka mentioned and the running psia.exe problem under control in 3.0.0.6001. I think version 3 is the best yet, so I didn't want to abandon it.

In Windows Explorer, I renamed psi_tray.exe _psi_tray.exe. Wonka, there's no problem with killing the redundant icon (redundant because it pops up when the program is open and you already know what it's there to tell you) any more. It just doesn't appear, so it doesn't have to be closed.

In Services, I found Secunia PSIAgent (with psia.exe in its properties) set to Automatic. I just reset it to Disabled, and several runs of PSI thereafter showed neither any new problem nor the running psia.exe (launched by the service previously) after I closed the program. All my programs have been up to date, though, so if PSI needs that service when any program is in need of an upadate, I'll have to reset that service to Manual.

While I was in Services, I took a look at the Secunia Update Agent service, which was also set to Automatic, and I reset it to Manual. That just means that if the program needs it, it'll launch, but if not, not. It hasn't launched in four runs of PSI and three reboots.

You'll recall that I have PSI set NOT to run at boot. That doen't mean that I think it's unimportant. I run it at least once a week, while I'm doing routine computer maintenance, imaging my C: drive to my second HDD, and backing up my D: (applications and utilities) drive to that same second disk..

I'm sure there'll be a fix for the running service problem eventually. My little tweaks are just temporary measures that do what I want them to do.

--
Wisewiz
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.