Forum Thread: Why does PSI use Opera for Downloads?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mmo Why does PSI use Opera for Downloads?
Member 18th Dec, 2012 21:04
Ranking: -3
User Since: 28th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Since I do occasional Website development I have 5 web browsers installed (IE 9, 10, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera) on my Windows 8 system.

For some odd reason PSI (I am still using v2.0 since I hated the dummified UI of v3.0) always uses Opera for downloads and also all other links (e.g. also to access this forum).

Why is that so? My system's default browser is IE10 and no other program ever fires up Opera automatically. How come, that PSI uses this??? Do you have some agreement or contract with Opera? And how do I teach PSI to use my system's default browser instead?

M.

Post "RE: Why does PSI use Opera for Downloads?" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Why does PSI use Opera for Downloads?
Handling Contributor 18th Dec, 2012 22:19
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Secunia use this key to determine the default browser:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\command"

That command for Internet Explorer 32-bit on Windows 64-bit should be set to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mmo RE: Why does PSI use Opera for Downloads?
Member 18th Dec, 2012 23:49
Score: -3
User Since: 28th Apr 2009
Bingo! That registry key was pointing to Opera. Beats me how that happened. Must have overlooked that stupid "make this the default browser?" checkbox.

The only thing that puzzles me: why did no other program nor clicking on a URL ever fire up opera but always IE (as it should )? Why did only PSI obey that setting? Anyway - fixed!

Thanks!
M.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.