Forum Thread: Programs requiring updating are still examining

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MacNala Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 10th Jan, 2013 11:09
Ranking: 1
User Since: 9th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
My system, Windows 7 Professional, is showing that 3 programs require updating.
They are Adobe AiR 2.x, Adobe Flash Player 11.x (ActiveX) and Mozilla Firefox 17.x.
All of these icons say Examining program.
That status has not changed for over 30 minutes.
I have checked that the system is online and connected to the internet but what is it doing.

Maurice Joyce RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2013 11:34
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What you describe happens with version 3 for reasons not yet established. I would manually update the lot. Best method for Adobe products is:

UPDATING THE STANDALONE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER

1. Download & SAVE these to desktop.

IE & Other Browsers using ActiveX.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

& then here, if U have any other type of browser that does not have Flash embedded.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Untick (uncheck) any additional offerings bundled with the download if they are not required

2. The installer will appear on the desk top. THE IMPORTANT BIT - Before agreeing to install Flash check these programmes are completely shut down (use the Task Manager if necessary (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) to COMPLETELY EXIT these processes if running)):
a. All Browsers.
b. Windows Messenger.
c. Incredimail.
d. All Adobe Products.
e. PSI - Unless using version 2 or version 3
f. Microsoft Skype & Plus! For Skype

3. The new install will then remove all old files during the update process.

4. Complete a full PSI rescan & all should be in order.

Now update Adobe AIR from here: http://get.adobe.com/air/

Optional - Go to Start>Control Panel>click the Flash Player (32 Bit) icon>check the settings are to your requirements.

Last Reviewed 23:28 21/10/2012

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Doctor9fan RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 16th Jan, 2013 11:00
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
I've often found that it's quicker to manually visit the adobe site to download the updates instead of waiting for PSI to download & install them.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
troothteller RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 18th Jan, 2013 04:50
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Dec 2010
I have found a site called filehippo.com even more helpful for these ActiveX, addons or whatever you want to call them. Many times a update turns up on that site that is easier to find than on the manufacturer's. They have every version of the addon, even the betas.

--
troothteller
Was this reply relevant?
+0

layohei

RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
[+]
This reply has been deleted
ram5thwheel RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 18th Jan, 2013 11:59
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Dec 2007
I have a active thread with regards to problems with version 3 and I also noted this to be a problem as well as several others related again to version 3. Lately I have used PSI to just be a monitoring program which when discovering a program requiring updating, I then go in and manually update the program(s) in question. I really like PSI, especially for monitoring my wife's computer as well as several friends but note that it still has it's issues.

--
Thank You
Peter (Mike) Meyers

System Info:
Windows 8.1 (64 bit)
Intel Core i7-4500U CPU @ 1.8GHz / ASUS Laptop
8.00 GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
MacNala RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 18th Jan, 2013 15:51
Score: 1
User Since: 9th May 2008
@Doctor9fan

If I understand you correctly you mean that the autoupdating facility of PSI is useless!
Was this reply relevant?
+1

layohei

[+]
ccrochet1 RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 23rd Jan, 2013 00:30
Score: 1
User Since: 23rd Jan 2013
Let's not call the auto-update feature useless. It's a work-in-progress that needs some work still. For anyone who's a software developer, I think you can identify with the challenges that would come with putting together a product like PSI. I work for a Fortune 100 company that uses a very expensive and very complex system to deploy software patches across many thousands of company PCs -- and it requires a small army of developers to keep it all working.

PSI is a very simple, yet elegant solution that promises to revolutionize the deployment of software updates for users without such deep pockets. I for one salute Secunia on their efforts and hope they continue to improve their product to its full potential.

This is a FREE product. If you can find something else out there that does what it does for free... I'm sure you'll jump ship. I'm just not personally aware of any products that can do what PSI does yet -- and certainly not for free.

I have faith that Secunia will step-up to the plate and get the job done. Keep at it guys!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
blake707 RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 23rd Jan, 2013 08:55
Score: 3
User Since: 20th Jan 2013
I find myself very strangely agreeing with all the above letters. I had similar experiences as all of us here, but until I joined this group I though it only happens with me-:) I even thought of deleting version 3 and going back to version 2. But what the hell, once Secunia gives me a warning I just go and update the programmes manually.

Cheers Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Doctor9fan RE: Programs requiring updating are still examining
Member 23rd Jan, 2013 20:25
Score: 19
User Since: 10th Jul 2011
on 18th Jan, 2013 15:51, MacNala wrote:
@Doctor9fan

If I understand you correctly you mean that the autoupdating facility of PSI is useless!

Not necessarily, FF is usually a quick download & install using PSI it just seems to be the Adobe installs which seem to take a while yet visiting the vendors website & downloading from there is much quicker.

--
Virginia/Doctor9fan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Maurice Joyce

[+]

This thread has been marked as locked.