Forum Thread: Proxy settings stuck

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
redlance7 Proxy settings stuck
Member 24th Jan, 2013 04:56
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Jan, 2013
System Score: N/A
I installed PSI and was prompted for my proxy settings, which I provided, and then ran into the issue where PSI says it doesn't support proxies when the application tries to launch.

The problem is, even though I disable my Proxy so I can use PSI, PSi still thinks I'm using a proxy and tells me that it's not going to work (and won't let me launch)

Even tried uninstalling/reinstalling PSI but I can't launch it without it saying that it doesn't support proxies.

How do I blow out those previously entered proxy settings so I can actually run PSI (when proxy is disabled of course)

---------------------------------------

SIDE COMMENT #1: BTW, using Privoxy. It's a shame that you can't run PSI security software alongside privacy software. Some of us are trying to protect ourselves and our information, and having to hobble our protection on one software program to run another seems kinda dumb.

DEVELOPER COMMENT: I'd also recommend that on the next release of PSI, if you don't support proxies, TELL THE USER during the install process instead of going through the whole thing like everything is going to work just fine, only to get the warning when the application tries to launch.

Post "RE: Proxy settings stuck" has been selected as an answer.
puget1 RE: Proxy settings stuck
Member 24th Jan, 2013 07:38
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
This is a possible explanation: Go ahead and clean out everything again and wait aprox. 5 to 6 days. The problem may exist with secunia servers and their cache needing to be cleaned out. According to a system engineer friend, it takes that long for commercial applications to drop their cache. This would be applicable only if you tried to reload the application immediately after uninstalling. This is why you are getting the same results. More and more appications now are asking if you want all information deleted and whether you are planning a reinstall.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
redlance7 RE: Proxy settings stuck
Member 24th Jan, 2013 07:45
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Jan 2013
Thanks, I'll give it a shot & let you know if it works.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Proxy settings stuck
Member 24th Jan, 2013 08:32
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Please! I would be interested in knowing. Thanks

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Proxy settings stuck
Secunia Official 24th Jan, 2013 13:51
@redlance7
In case you should still have any issues then please go through the steps in this FAQ entry.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

When it comes to privacy software I have not personally experienced any issues with the PSI. I regularly run the PSI through VPN servers in different countries and have never had any issue doing so. I admit however that I have not tried to route the PSI traffic through Privoxy.
redlance7 RE: Proxy settings stuck
Member 26th Jan, 2013 09:31
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Jan 2013
I decided to give it a shot tonight, and it worked! Just a normal reinstall with IE's proxy server settings (temporarily) disabled.

Weird that program settings would be kept on a server somewhere instead of the local computer. First time I've seen that, but it is what it is!

Thanks!

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.